Chapter 9

The rest of the day flew by without any weird conversations and I was so glad about it. When my last class ended, I drove back to the hospital after a quick pit stop and asked my father to check my hand. It wasn't hurting anymore, but if I didn't say anything, he would have a panic attack once he found out about it. Overprotective fool.

"Everything looks great. Just keep it unwrapped now and I'll call your mother so she can help you finish it up. So how did this happen?"

I so could not mention Nathan so I lied a bit. "I went out for coffee and you know me, I'm a klutz. I didn't see where I was going and tripped with the hot cup in hand. It spilled all over and I went to the nurse who wrapped it up." It seem like he didn't believe my story but I just smiled and kissed his cheek. "I'm fine daddy. It doesn't even hurt anymore. You're just being an overprotective old man."

"I'm not old!" He cried as I hopped off the bed. I wrapped my hands around his waist and buried my face in his chest as he hugged me back. I felt his lips on my hair for a second and then his grip tightened. "You're my princess. I worry about everything."

"Yeah. I know," I mumbled as I fixed my glasses. "Can you let me go now? I want to go home now....."

"Of course. And thank you for the late lunch." He said as he eyed the bag of fast food. He had worst habits then me.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll send your love to mom. Bye!"

*

*

*

After getting home and telling the same story to my frantic mother, she helped me out with my hand and then let me have my freedom. Not even half an hour later, I began to smell food and I let my nose lead me to its master.

"Frito pie!" I shrieked, startling my mother who had her back to me. She screamed herself and I laughed. "Sorry."

"Don't you dare do that again Claire! Andd yes but it's not ready yet. Why don't you set the table and I'll bring your plate over."

An hour later, I groaned in defeat and slowly lowered my head to the table as my lids dropped.

"Room young lady. Did you finish your homework?"

"No. But I'll do it later. I'm just in a food coma right now," I mumbled and stumbled like a zombie to my room. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I passed out.

*

*

A dog barking woke me up from my nap and I cursed silently as I fumbled to find my glasses. With clear vision, I glanced over at my clock and cursed again when I saw the time- 9:30. Now I wasn't going to be able to fall asleep again!

With a groan, I got up, got my pajamas off the floor with a new set of underwear and bra and hopped into the shower. Twenty minutes later, I found myself plopping down on my bed with homework surrounding me.

"Stupid teachers," I mumbled to myself as my phone beeped. I glanced at it, blinked twice and then slowly creeped over to it. Who the heck was texting me? No one, and I mean no one had my number. My parents weren't lazy enough to text me so it had to be someone from the outside.

But who?

I picked it up with trembling fingers and swiped the screen at the unknown number.

Hey friend. Guess what I want?

What? What kind of person texted that? And who the heck was it? I debated for about two minutes on whether to reply back or not and then I found my hands flying across the screen.

Who's this?

Thirty seconds later.

I'm hurt. You seriously don't know who I am?

Umm....no. Sorry but you must have the wrong number.

I dropped my phone in my bed and picked up my pencil. It beeped once and I looked at it, deciding to ignore it and whoever was behind those messages. I focused on my homework and not even five minutes later, another beeped happened. Curious on what they said, I picked it up again.

I don't think I have the wrong number.

This is Claire right?

My blood ran cold and I actually dropped my phone. What? How did this person know my name?? It beeped again before I could even process the last message.

It's Nathan.

I gasped and glared at my phone as if he could see it. But how in the world did he get my phone number? I never gave it to him and for sure he never gave me his. I was freaking out more as each second passed.

How did you get my number?

I stole your phone when you weren't looking and called myself 😁

What???? When?? Where?? How??

School. Math class. I have sneaky fingers. I slipped it out of your back pocket and did the deed. I'm surprised you didn't feel it.

😡😡😱 Are you serious?! No one is suppose to have my number!!!

CHILLLLLLLLL. It's not like I'm going to share it with the world...... or am I? 🤔

YOU BETTER NOT! I KNOW PEOPLE THAT CAN HIDE EVIDENCE IN A MATTER OF SECONDS!! I lied. Hopefully he didn't catch it.

Liar. How can you if no one has your number? I cursed and face palmed myself.

Ok, I don't. But seriously what do you want? I'm in the middle of homework here.....

Me too. But I suddenly thought of your brownies and now I want some. Can you make some more pwease!! 😩

Pwease? Are we in kindergarten?

😫😭

😪

I couldn't help but laugh at myself as soon as I sent that face. Before he could even reply back, I sent another one.

And the answer to the brownies is no. I'm DOING HOMEWORK!! Now leave me alone!!

I hid my phone underneath my pillow and turned around to try and finish my homework. The constant buzzing and beeping coming underneath my pillow was really starting to drive me crazy, but I managed to ignore it and finish the first part of it. An hour and a half later, I dropped the pen and sighed at the poorly written essay in front of me.

Whatever. It wasn't even due 'till a week from now, but the teacher wanted a rough-draft first. Might as well hand it in now right? You never knew when you would get your stuff back from the teachers.....

After placing everything back in my bag, I sneaked into the dark kitchen and grabbed a small bowl of fruit, noticing that everything else would require the use of a stove or microwave. Not wanting to make any noise, I tried to sneak my way back into my room, but of course failed in that category. Have you ever gotten up in the middle of the night, feeling the need to empty your bladder or grab a cold glass of water? Everything is going great until you forget that you have a corner right in front of your face and you slam your pinky toe right in that corner? Yeah, that's what's going on right now.

My silent screams of pain had me hopping and doubling over as I dropped the bowl while trying to tend to my injured toe. I thought the crash would wake up my parents, but after seconds of silence, I sighed in relief and actually started to crawl back to my room, not wanting to crash into anything else. Remembering about the fruit halfway there, I groaned but continued my trail and once I got into the light, I hopped up, grabbed my phone and went back.

"No more pain for me!" I mumbled to myself as I flashed the light on the floor, looking at all the blueberries and strawberries on the floor....