Chapter 2

The rest of the day went by in a flash and as soon as the last bell rang, I all but sprinted to my car, not even caring if I bumped into people. It was a three day weekend and I was excited to get it started.

I was one of the first students out, and I all but sighed in relief as I made my way home without any people laughing at me for the first time in forever.

*

*

*

When Tuesday came around, I did my usual routine. But luckily it was raining that day so I had the chance to leave in some pants instead of hiding them in my bag.

Of course that gave me an extra five minutes of sitting down in my corner, which in return would give me a chance to listen to the new music I had downloaded the day before.

"This is going to be a great day," I whispered to myself.

"Talking to yourself again Cross?" Gabby -captain of the cheerleaders- laughed which made all of her followers laugh as well. I blushed and walked faster as they began to talk about some Nathan guy.

"Or not," I mumbled to myself before going down the stairs. The music was already playing in my ears before I even sat down to forget about what had just happened.

Twenty minutes later though, I cursed and yanked out my buds, wishing I had not downloaded the song that was coursing through my mind. I had well over twenty new songs and that song was the only one that stuck in my head even though it was one of the first ones I had listened to.

"Lyn. Heads up!" Mr. Zees' voice echoed to me and I looked up just in time to see Mr. Bass rounding the corner with Ms Sanders.

Before I even registered what I was doing, I was already halfway through the door and running through the choir room to get out. There was no way I was playing the piano today.

The door slammed behind me as I rushed through it and I winced, hoping they wouldn't come rushing to it wondering what it was. I really needed to find a new spot. I was not safe there anymore.

As I was rounding the corner to go down the long hallway towards the main entrance, I pulled up my hoodie and looked behind me to make sure no one was following. That one second of distraction was enough for me to not realize someone else was rushing towards where I was coming from. I only registered crashing into a hard wall, knocking the breath out of me as I fell backwards and the wall following me down.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry!" A deep but silky voice gasped as I regained my breath. I turned my head around to face the culprit and spat out the strands of hair I had in my mouth while removing my hood. I took a ragged breath as I faced whoever it was and froze, not moving an inch. I swear I heard him gasp.

"Can you please get off me," I whispered immediately. His big blue eyes were so light, I almost mistook them for grey. I had to fight the urge to move the one lock of hair that was out of place from the others but I resisted. Even though it did look soft in its black tone.

"Oh yes. I'm sorry," he apologized and got off of me. I felt all the air come back to me and I literally choked on it for a second. As I stood up blindly, I brushed the dirt from my behind and re-did my bun before placing the hood again. No way was I staying here to talk. "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine. Thanks for the help but I have to go." I whispered as I grabbed my bag and glasses from his hands and stepped aside, blushing as I felt his eyes on me.

"Can you at least help me with something? I'm new here and I have no idea where I'm going."

I paused mid step and sighed. I so did not want to help this guy and I really just wanted some peace and quiet. I opened my mouth to neglect but he beat me to it.

"And before you say no, I'm going to say that I can't accept that. Friends don't just leave other friends without helping them out. You don't want me to get lost do you?" He was giving me the puppy eyes.

Seriously? Were we five or something? And friends? I had no friends.

"Friends?"

"Yeah. Since technically we already touched each other and we aren't dating, we might as well be friends," he said with a smirk. My mouth popped open and I felt a blush creeping up my face as he laughed.

"What? That never happened!" My fingers automatically went up to push my glasses up, even though they were in place.

"Don't deny it sugar," he said with a wink. "But please! I'll owe you and besides it looks like you're not even busy."

Sugar? "How do you know I'm not busy?" I snapped. He was so close on getting slapped.

"Well you're standing here having this conversation with me...."

"Not any more," I huffed and began to walk away.

"Hey! Wait no don't leave! I'm sorry! Please, just help me."

"Why? You didn't make a good impression? How do I even know you go here?" I didn't stop walking. He was practically following me like I was a magnet.

"Ok then, let's start over. I swear I'm not the dick you're thinking I am. I don't know what was going on through my head."

With a hand on the door, I paused and looked down at my shoes. Was I really thinking of helping this guy out? I wanted to be alone and he was probably going to follow me around until I helped him. That thought made me want to cry.

With a slight groan, I forced myself around and sighed. "Fine. What do you need?" He smiled and I had to blink rapidly to actually prove what I was seeing was real.

Holy cow! This guy had dimples.

"What block are we in? And what does this mean?" Block? What was this boy talking about?

He held out a sheet of paper and I took it, raising my eyebrows at him. This boy sure was crazy.

Nathan William Williams. 18. Senior. Transfer from Garrison High.

"William Williams?" I giggled and he smiled.

"Another story. So?" I held up a finger and kept on looking.

1 period- assistance
2 period- assistance
3 period- English AP - Ms. Hoff Rm 104
4 period- Calculus AP -Mr. Lopez Rm 212
5 period- Athletics -Mr. Burns Gym
6 period- Athletics -Mr. Burns Gym
7 period- assistance
8 period- assistance

Crap.

"Why are you frowning? Do I have the worst teachers or what?" He asked alarmed.

"No. Everything's ok.... I guess. I just don't see a Science or History course. You know you need four credits in each course to graduate right?"

He shrugged and said, "Already have them. Took summer classes to get them out of the way. Those are not my best subjects."

I could tell. Calculus AP and English AP? Why couldn't he be in another class! I had the exact same schedule as him but instead of Athletics, I was taking Economics and Government. Not my best subjects as well. I was smart enough to take a Science course in Middle School that counted in High School so that covered that base for me.

"Well good news is that you have four off periods."

"Ahh. So this is the period school. Gotcha."

"Period school?"

He chuckled. "Nothing. Never mind. What's the bad news?"

"Well the bad news is for me," I huffed and he frowned. I winked and began to walk away, leaving him standing there as I continued. "I have to see your face for Math and English. We are in second period right now and lunch is right after 4th. Bye!"

"Wait I didn't get your name!"

I didn't turn around to respond. I just kept on walking until I got to my car and climbed in the back. I plopped down, locked all the doors and popped in my buds again. This time, I skipped over the damn song and went on to listening to the other ones.