Chapter 1

Silence.

That was what I heard for a couple of minutes until a bird started to chirp mere second before the wind picked up and blew my dress all around me.

I shrieked, open my eyes and with flailing arms I tried to get as much of the garment down from the air. Good thing I was alone.

Or I thought I was alone.

The wind carried a soft familiar chuckle to me and I turned with a grin to look at my father, who was standing on the porch drinking his coffee from the "best dad in the world" mug I had gotten him for fathers day when I was 7.

"You know you just flashed the entire neighborhood with your little stunt there."

"Yeah so? Not my fault they were watching. They should mind their own business," I sniffed and stood up. I went up the two steps, took off my glasses and wrapped my arms around his waist while burying my face on his chest as he hugged me with his free hand. "You know that cup is a little more than twice my age right? That's kind of old don't you think?" I mumbled as I put my glasses back on.

He kissed the top of my head and I felt his shrug. "So? It has sentimental value so I feel attached to it."

I rolled my eyes and turn my head so I could tip his cup down and take a small sip from it. He laughed at my expression and apologized. "Sorry. I needed something strong to make me last through the whole day." I raised my eyebrows at him and he just shook his head as he led me back inside. "Don't ask."

"There you are!" my mother sighed when we entered the kitchen. She kissed us both then lightly slapped us in our arms. "I sent your father to go look for you and when he didn't come back, I thought I was going to have to send another search party! Then who would help me with breakfast?"

"Sorry," we both murmured and she winked. "Lucky for you, I am-" she said this as she held up her mug and showed it off like a model "-the worlds best mom and I can do anything alone."

I rolled my eyes as my dad laughed and clinked his mug with hers. I had gotten hers the same year and they still wouldn't let it go. "Anything?"

"Well almost anything," she murmured to me. "What have you not seen me do?"

I looked at my father and saw him looking at me. We both laughed and then started to bombard her with stuff we did. Once we were done, we did our little high five routine and jumped back as she flung her towel towards us.

"Whatever," she said with a roll of her eyes and passed us each a plate. "Put this on the table so we can at least have breakfast before it gets cold."

"Yes ma'am," we both murmured. We all joked around and laughed about it but when someone got serious, it got serious. Jokes were over and laughter would get you a glare from the person trying to be in the spotlight at the moment. I sort of learned that the hard way at a young age....

After a few munches, my father and I both stood up, kissed my mother on the cheek at the same time, grabbed our bags and or lunch money from her as well and descended down the few steps to our cars. I was off for school, he was off for another shift at the hospital.

"Drive safely!" I heard my mother yell from the porch and I just poked my head out the window to blow her a kiss, earning a glare from her and a honk from my father in front of me.

"Sorry!" I yelled and backed away, not really catching their comebacks. As soon as I was out of sight, I pulled over and took a deep breath.

My parents thought that I had many friends and that I was popular at school. I was always the happy child at home, but what they didn't know didn't kill them. Only me.