Ch 5: Listen

Cyd felt relieved when she arrived back at the house and Barry had left. Bret and Chet migrated downstairs and was watching some movie marathon. 

"Where's Shelby?" Cyd asked.

"I think she's upstairs." Bret said without looking at Cyd.

"Yeah yeah, upstairs." Chet said pointing towards the staircase, eyes still glued to the television. Cyd slowly walked up the stairs. She walked over and plopped on her bed staring at her graffiti. 

"Cyd!" Shelby yelled running over and jumping on top of her hugging her. "Where have you been? What happened?"

"I had better things to do." Cyd mumbled.

"Better things than me?" Shelby questioned very confused.

"Sure did. Naldo and I had lots of catching up to do." Cyd proudly said, "Now get on your own bed." Cyd started to push Shelby's legs off her bed.

"Oh." Shelby said tearing up. She just walked to her bed and faced away from Cyd.

"I'm not doing this. I'm not getting hurt anymore. It's time to open your eyes to reality Cyd." Cyd told herself over and over. Eventually the two girls drifted to sleep. Shelby couldn't really sleep that night, so she mostly sat upon her bed and gazed at the moon outside her window. 

"I love her. She'll never love me. I was stupid to think that." Shelby told herself. Shelby just watched Cyd sleeping peaceful. She never looked more beautiful and calm. Shelby walked over to her bed and sat beside Cyd. She leaned in close to Cyd's face while she was sleeping. Cyd slowly woke up.

"Sh-Shelb, what are you doing?" Cyd asked confused.

"Cyd, I have to do this." Shelby said pushing her face towards Cyd's.

"Shelby stop!" Cyd said breaking away from Shelby, "I'm not gonna kiss you if it doesn't mean anything! If you see it as an obligation, I'm not kissing you."

"I-I jus-" Shelby stuttered.

"Shelby, I love you. I'm in love with you. I want to be with you. I want to be more than friends!" Cyd exclaimed while pacing the room.

"Cyd, kiss me!" Shelby reached for Cyd's hands.

"You know what I just don't care anymore! I'm not forcing myself on you! I don't care, I am just-" Cyd exclaimed.

"Cyd! What are you talking about, I didn't do anything off of obligation! I love you!" Shelby replied.

"No, you don't love me the way I love you." Cyd yelled.

"Cyd! I do. I love you, your my best friend!" Shelby answered.

"See! Stop right there, I don't wanna be best friends. I wanna be more!" Cyd concluded while running out the room and down the stairs.

"I wanna be more too!" Shelby cried as she heard the door slam shut downstairs. Shelby stared at the clock that read 3:33 am. She just sat up on Cyd's bed and looked out the window. It was a beautiful night, just like Cyd.