Chapter 16 - Answers to the Wrong Questions

Start from the beginning

  “Alright class, since this is your first fornication lesson, I won’t be teaching today. Instead, I will explain how it works just in case you are confused.” Madame’s chipper voice rang in my head, her words burning me all over.

  “Each and every one of you girls are going to get married someday. And just because you were chosen to attend this fine school, that won’t change. You will, in fact, get married. And your future husband is sitting right here.” I look around at the twenty guys that were exchanging looks with each other in shock.

“That’s right, boys and girls. You have been paired with one of these fine men the moment you arrived here. Of course, you won’t know who it is until you turn sixteen. Those of you who are already sixteen…well, that’s what this class is for….”

I open my eyes with a start. Bella wasn’t just paired with Carson, she would have to marry him once she turned eighteen! And have sex with him!

I checked her birthday quickly. It was in a month. So in the unlikely chance my plan failed, I would still have to get her out before this happened.

After I was done checking out a few other girls, I stopped in my tracks. What about me? Didn’t that mean I have one too? Slowly but surely, my trembling fingers flipped over to the sixth student, assuming that was my number since it was written everywhere. Huh, I was right. I scan my information and my breath catches in my throat when I reach the line that stated who I was paired with.

No, no, no. Did Madame do this to me on purpose? To taunt me or to torture me? I slam the book shut and place it back where I found it on the shelf.

Did she know when she wrote him down? There was no way it was a coincidence…

Remembering that I didn’t have a lot of time left, I continue my search of Madame’s office. When I reach the counter, I open all the drawers as fast as my fingers allowed me.

On the bottom one, I discovered a medium sized box. It was brown and had strange patterns on it. Seeing as it was the only suspicious thing in her office, I took it out and tried to open it. My attempt fell short when I realized it was locked too. The keyhole looked decent enough for my bobby pin and paper clip.

I sprint to the door, unlock it, and fidget the tools out of the lock. Running back to the strange box, I try to insert the paper clip the way I did before.

It didn’t work this time. At this point, I was desperate, so I began searching for the key. I prayed Madame didn’t keep it with her.

I scoped out the entire office top to bottom. And I found absolutely nothing.

I was about to give up when something silver caught my eye. It was way on top of the bookcase. I pumped a fist into the air and dragged a chair over to the side. Carefully climbing on it and using my hands for balance, I reached with my tip toes and could barely reach the key. I strained my arm further. When my fingers touched it, I grabbed it and jumped off the chair, going back to the box.

I open the box hastily. Inside, there were letters of some sort, which I pulled out. I also saw a cell phone, which I immediately examined. It was an old flip phone, and it looked like something my grandma would own.

I flip it open and check the contacts. Empty.

Next I checked the voice mail. Empty.

Afterwards I checked the sent and received text messages. Empty.

With one last surge, I checked the incoming and outgoing calls. Not empty!

Most numbers were cell phones I didn’t recognize, and none that looked like they belonged in this state, anyway. But one number caught my eye.

It was my moms.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. My mom knew Madame? I tuck away the phone into my bra, sure to use it later.

I take the letters and was about to put them back, when something stopped me. I set them on the table, take out the first one, open it, and read.

  Dearest Madame,

   I don’t know how to thank you for your generosity. You are truly the most spectacular woman I have ever met.

  In my time of need, you were the only one who offered to help. Need I remind you that I contacted each branch of the DIO, and all they told me was to go to you.

 So if you ever need a favor, or a debt to be paid, just come to me. I would be more than happy to help you.

Let me know when I should get our daughter ready for you,

Indroa

Alright, now I was as confused as ever. Did this man actually give their daughter up to Madame willingly? As in, he knew what would happen to her? 

And Madame has a daughter that goes here?

And who the hell are the DIO?

I rip open the second letter. It had similar context as the first one. A parent had given up their child to this life of poverty. Just like the first letter, the signed name was weird and indescribable. Maybe it was some kind of code.

If all of these kids were a result of people giving them up, then is that what happened to me?

Did my own mother give me up?

I read every letter and halfway through, I decided I couldn’t read any more. So I finish reading the one I was currently holding, which was signed by someone named Fool’s Gold.

I try to place the letters back in the order that I found them, but it was hard considering I was beyond disgusted.

If my mother really gave me up, then doesn’t that mean my entire life was a lie?

What reason could a human being have for giving up their only child?

I feel fresh tears sting my eyes and I let them come. What was the point of trying anymore?

Even if I got everyone out, where would we go?

It’s not like I would go home. How could I, knowing what I knew?

And should I even tell everyone? It would ruin their lives, and ruin everything we hoped for.

After thinking it through, I decided they had a right to know. But not now. It would destroy them if they knew all their efforts were to go back to families that disowned them. When everyone was safely out, I would make sure they knew.

 I was about to close the box when I changed my mind and took the letters back out.

You never know when they might come in handy. If the police ask for proof, if my friends would ask for proof, I would have these.

Gripping them tightly, I shut the box and place it back in the bottom drawer. Taking the key out, I made sure to put it back exactly in the same spot where I found it.

As I was leaving Madame’s office, I made sure it looked like I was never here. Hopefully, I would never have to see this place again.

I shut the door, make sure it was locked from the outside, and start running to my dorm. I would hide the letters there since they were too big to fit in my pockets. Afterwards, I would meet everyone in the dance room just as I had planned in the meeting. And we would continue the plan.

Unfortunately, the whole time I was sprinting to my room, the only thing burning into my mind was the bold, red name that was on my paper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I apologize again for the delay in posting! Like I said, work is starting to get hectic and I am becoming more involved in Wattpad, so that is also taking up some of my time. 

Can you believe who was written as Vivienne's pair? Oy! And what about the stuff she found out in the letters? :O

And what about the time-wasting student form I made on the right? ;) (If it's too small, open the image in a new tab)

And If you haven't noticed before, there are some red letters on it...