Chapter 1

"Zero!" I yelled, my gun held out in front of me, ready to be fired. "I think I heard something!" 

Zero Kiryu walked up next to me, his gun held out in front of him. He slowly approached whatever was making the sound in the bushes, stopping about two yards away. 

"You do realize this could be some kind of small animal, right?" he asked me, shaking his hair from his face. 

"Better safe than sorry," I shrugged. Zero rolled his eyes and looked back at the now still bush. 

"Well, whatever it is, it's gone-" He was cut off by my gun, shooting in the opposite direction. 

"What did you do?" he yelled, turning fast. He looked shocked when he saw me, gun in hand, kneeling down to a pile of dust. 

"A Level E," I said. "I could tell." 

I could never mistake the look of a Level E vampire. Their faces are always so horrifying and eyes bulging. Level E's are vampire's who have gone pretty much insane. They are too wrapped up in trying to find blood that they don't really care what happens around them. Only vampires who were made into a vampire by purebloods gradually fall to Level E, meaning former humans. Zero and I are Vampire Hunters. We are sent out to destroy the Level E's, before they hurt someone. 

"Let's get back to the academy," I said. I stood and tucked my gun away, and then started back toward Cross Academy, where Zero and I attended school in the Day Class. 

"Hold up, Isabelle," Zero said, and I stopped and turned to face him. 

"Why? What is it?" I asked, not sure if I should just be curious right now or on alert. 

"Let's just, hang back for today," he said. 

"We can't. One, we don't have a note, and two-" he held out his hand, telling me to stop, so I did. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper. 

"We have an assignment," he said, waving the paper in the air. "We'll tell the headmaster that that was where we went." 

"Wait," I said, a little confused. "Did you say, "We"?"  

"Yup. I guess the council finally wants to see what you're capable of." Zero said, and a look crossed his face that appeared to be almost a smile. 

I smiled at him. "Then what are we waiting for? Let's go!"