Before I can say another word, Nick has me in a headlock, moving me away from the house and into the surrounding forest. I shove him off, using little force, but he goes flying in the other direction. I've always been stronger than him, which he doesn't seem to grasp sometimes. 

He shakes his head to recover, and looks at me with rage. "I'm going to pretend you didn't just say that," he says lowly. "My father has been working on this plan for 13 fucking years, so I'm going to pretend you didn't just say that." 

The weight of everything makes my head hang, making me look like a damn scolded dog-- no pun intended.

"They want me to be fucking Alpha." I was more saying it to myself than Nick, the words finally making it true in my mind; I would become Alpha of Kiara's pack. 

As I look up, Nick explodes into cackling laughter, as if he just couldn't control himself. The sound grates my hyper-sensitive ears, making my hands ball into fists. 

"You-" Another cackle. "They want-" More hysteria. "You? Alpha!" As he goes into another round of hysterics, I can't take the sound anymore. With werewolf speed, I'm up to him in a flash, punching him straight in the face. 

All in about two seconds, Nick is sprawled on the floor covering his eye. He shoots up once he realizes what I've done, and pulls out his blade just as fast. He throws it hard, and since I'm too distracted by my anger, it nicks me in the shoulder. The sting hurts, bringing a hiss of pain out of me, but that's all the emotion I give. 

"Fuck you," I spat, clenching my fists to bring my mind off the pain, my eyes narrowed so much I can barely even see Nick. His hand is still covering his face, and when he lowers it I can see a black eye already forming. 

"No, fuck you!" He pockets his blade. "God you're an idiot, Connor. This is great! The Alpha's daughter must be kissing your wolf ass right now." 

My chest burns at the thought of Kiara. Her gray eyes fill my mind, looking scared and tortured like in my nightmares. "Shut up." Great comeback, Connor. What are you going to do now, roll your eyes at him? 

"Just... Just shut up right now," I add, taking in Nick's surprised reaction. The lies, the deception, I can feel it all finally affecting me. It's taking a toll on me, making me weak. And I hate it. 

"What the hell is going on with you, Lover Boy?" Nick taunts, crossing his arms and leaning against the trunk of a tree. "Saxton comes up with a brilliant plan, trains you all your life, and even better-- you're getting some from the Alpha's hot daughter. Now suddenly you're pussy whipped? If I didn't know any better, I'd think you really were--" 

My head whips up at his words and he sees it. The dead giveaway in my eyes. It makes him stop dead in his tracks, even stumble back a few paces. 

"Holy hell. She wasn't lying. You're her mate, aren't you Lover Boy?" He tries to tease me, but I notice the apprehension flash in his dark eyes.

"What are you talking about?" It's worth a try. I even knit my eyebrows together to seem more confused, but Nick sees right through it. Because I can't help the way my hands shake in anger at all of this. 

"Don't even give me that crap." He pauses to collect his thoughts, then strides up to me with his hands on my shoulders. "Look," he says lowly, close to my ear. "We're not going to tell my father about this. As far as I know, we didn't even have this conversation, understand?" I nod. If Saxton were to find out what Kiara is to me, he'd freak. 

Nick shoves me away from him, letting out a cry of frustration as he launches his blade as hard as he can. It lands right on target, sticking straight out of the tree just inches beside me.