"Why didn't you say anything? Why didn't you tell me that you knew?"

"I-I didn't... I couldn't... it's just-" I sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Don't you know how a person who knows their mate can't mention anything about their feelings or the bond they share if the mate doesn't know or understand? They have to wait for their mate to figure it out." He ran a hand through his hair and continued on when I opened my mouth to reply. "Of course you don't! You didn't even know what mates were! But do you understand how hard it was to watch you earlier when you were hurt? All I wanted to do was toss you into a windowless room and lock it up so that you'll never get hurt again."

He turned back to face me, his golden eyes glowing in the near-darkness of the room. I tried to take a step towards him, but my knees buckled and I pitched forwards. Closing my eyes and waiting to crash to the ground, I found myself pressed against his chest. The electricity jumped between us again. I clutched at his shirt, not wanting him to let go of me ever again.

"He should've told you. Or I could have tried to." He ran his fingers through my hair as I pressed my face into his chest. The top of my head burned pleasantly as he placed a soft kiss on my hair.

"What's wrong with me? Why can't I walk?"

"I'm guessing that since you fought Lana, the neurons got all confused as to who to obey and shut down. You might have to learn how to walk again, or it might just be getting you to remember it. By fighting her, you jumbled the neurons and prevented anyone from getting hurt.

"I have to relearn how to walk?!" I clutched at his shirt and stared up at him in frustration. He chuckled and wrapped an arm around my waist, pinning me to his body. I sighed and carefully slid my arms around his neck. 

"Yes. Don't worry, I'll be here the whole time." He scooped me up into his arms and moved towards the bed. "For now, just rest."

I was tucked into the sheets and smiled into the pillow when he kissed my temple. As he was backing away, I grabbed his hand and pulled him back. "Don't go. What if they come back and get me because I can't run away or fight back? They'd kill me or drag me back to my father. I don't want to go back, I'm scared. Please, don't leave me to-"

He growled and placed a hand over my mouth. "They won't be coming back, okay? No one's going to hurt you." His hand moved from my mouth to stroke my cheek gently, and he sighed. "But if it makes you feel safer, I won't go."

I relaxed as he laid down next to me atop the sheets. I curled into his side, resting my head on his chest, and heard his chest rumble happily. Yawning, I drifted into sleep, lulled by his fingers running through my hair.

The next morning, I woke up, and stretched my back then realized I was alone. I sat up swiftly and looked around. The bathroom door was closed, but as I snifferd, I could smeel shaving cream. Letting out a sigh of relief, I face my next problem. Getting to my feet. I rolled off the bed by accident and crashed to the floor.

"Legna! What hap-" Camdyn's worried voice cut off as his rich laughter filled the room.

My legs were all tangled in the sheets and half held me on the bed, only my head and shoulders on the ground. I turned my face towards him and glared as he doubled over, his face red from laughing so hard. Okay, it probably was funny to him, but not to me. I needed help now because my broken arm was throbbing from it's rough jostling as it had hit the floor.

"Oh, what did you do little one?" Camdyn walked over to me, crouching by my head now that he'd gotten himself under control. 

"I'm hardly little! I'm 17 years old!"

"But you are little in size."

"Shut up and help me, please?"

He chuckled before cradling my upper body in one arm and untangling my legs from the sheets with his other hand, then scooped me his free arm under my knees and carried me into the bathroom. I crossed my arms and scowled as he set me on the edge of the half-bath/ shower, then turned on the water. I shooed him away with my good hand and locked the door behind him.

After my shower, I stood in the middle of the bathroom, looking hopefully towards the counter. I tried to take a step towards it, but fell sideways, collapsing against the door. There was a click, then the door opened away from me and I tumbled into Camdyn's chest. He raised a brow at me and I stuck my tongue out.

"How was your attempt at walking, little one?"

"You know damn well how it worked out." He set me on my feet but I grabbed his shirt and lifted my chin. "Carry me to the closet, mate?"

"I'm not your servant." He sighed when I raised both of my brows at him. "I'm not."

"Right." I muttered the word as he scooped me up again and carried me across the room, opened the closet door and set me on my feet near the shelves.

"Now, do you need help getting dressed?"

I grabbed an empty hanger and threw it at the door that he closed just in time. Turning, I found the space filled with mostly my clothes. Caleb must've had them brought over at some point. I grabbed a light blue sundress and pulled it on over my head, avoiding having to move my legs. Damn this stupid reaction.