•41•

Blake

I peered into the mirror at my reflection that at first glance, I wouldn't even recognize. Both my hands gripped on either sides of the cream colored marbled sink.

My long wavy hair no longer cascaded down to my waist. It's new length is just long enough to brush up against my shoulder blades. I don't want my long hair anymore. Too many scarring memories were entangled in it.

A soft knock came through the door. "Blake? Are you ok? It's almost time to go," Blair notified me. My heart plummeted at her words.

"Yeah. . . I'm fine," I assured her, probably not too convincingly.

"You don't have to do this," She said softly.

"No. No. I'm gonna go. I'm going go to school," Seems like I was talking more to myself.

It's been a few weeks since my return. Through that time period, my name continues to be thrown around on tv and social media. Still bombarded by the nagging reporters. The idea of a arranging a press conference has also surfaced.

Mom and Dad said that it was up to me. I don't know if I'm ready to spill my story yet. But at the same time, I want people to know the very truth.

I've found joy in the little things that I probably wouldn't even have liked doing before I was taken. Like cleaning the house. Or sitting out on the patio and soaking up the sunlight. Just being home.

But it's time for me to go back to school. Step out into the public. I just have to suck it up. I'm not going to shy away and take the easy way out. No. If there's anything I've gained over the past six months, it's strength.

I drew in a breath and exhaled calmly before I opened the door. Blair was leant on the opposite wall, phone in hand.

She looked up. "Drew normally picks me up in the morning," She pulls keys from her back pocket and tosses them to me. "But you can drive me. . . for old time sake."

I responded with a smile and we both headed downstairs. In the kitchen, Dad is just about ready to leave for work and Mom is still in her black robe. They were quietly conversing.

"Morning," Blair and I say in unison. Mom and Dad's eyes lit up when they directed their attention to us.

"Still getting used to the new hair," Mom shuffles over in her cloud like slippers. She ran her fingers through my fresh cut hair. "Are you sure you wanna go today? Because you can-"

"Mom. I'm ready," I assured her with a bit of confidence. Yet my stomach still churns at stepping foot in Arlington High.

"Ok, if you feel you're ready," She nodded.

"Alright I gotta head to Enterprises," Dad takes a last sip of his coffee and gathers his things. "Have a good day girls."

"Not possible," Blair and I replied in unison as he heads for the door.

"Have a good day at work," I wished him.

"Not possible," Dad mimicked, which received giggles from Blair, Mom and I.

When he leaves, I slip on my knee high brown boots that sat at the base of the stairs.

Did I mention I went shopping? Stella and Peyton's theory is that if I'm coming back to school after six months, I have to do it in style.

"Mom what are you gonna do today?" I asked curiously. She's normally dressed for the day by this time.

"I actually don't feel very well today. I'm just gonna stay home."