•34•

Blair

Mom went to her law firm for a consultation with her boss a few hours ago. She has to find out whether our case is strong enough to take to court.

Dad on the other hand, has retreated to his office. He's been spending a lot of time in there ever since we fell into the spiral of sudden events. I don't blame him either.

Meanwhile, I sit on the patio on the back porch. Taking in the view of the woods. Something so beautiful, so serene can be lethal and deadly at the same time.

Wrapping my loose knit oversized cardigan tighter around my body, I pulled my legs up to my chest. I swiveled my head to face my father taking a seat beside me.

We sat in a calming silence, until the heavy glass back door was being slid open.

To Mom.

"I was wondering where you two where," She sat next to Dad.

"Well," I looked at her expectantly. "Did you get the case?"

She couldn't help the wide smile spreading on her face. "It's in a few weeks. My co-worker will be doing it though since I'm the mother of the victim."

I mirrored the contagious smile that she radiated and so did Dad.

"That's great," He gave her knee a squeeze.

"Court cases can get nasty and drag out for a long time. But Lexa will fight to get justice for Blake," She said with determination.

"What if she isn't dead though?" I sputtered subconsciously. My parent's gave me a perplexed look.

"This changes everything. She was kidnapped by some psychotic man. Who knows if she's dead or not? They would've found her body by now right? We need to tell the police and have them search the woods," My eyes flicked from Mom to Dad with the hopes of them understanding where I'm coming from.

Dad nodded. "We will go to the police. But Blair, you have to understand that this man is clever and probably made sure to cover up his tracks well. I just don't want you banking in false hope."

"And it's time to start reconciling. Rebuilding our family," Mom intervened. "Yes, I wanna believe that Blake is still alive. I used to think that too, for a while actually. But it's most likely that. . .that ghost of a man," She had trouble getting the last few words out. "Took her life. People are crazy these days."

Tears started to seep from my eyes. They're both right. I shouldn't fill myself up with hope, only to be deflated by the truth. Blake was the glue to this household and now we have to learn how to repair it, without her.

"But we're gonna make it through this. This time as a family. . .a family of three," Mom said.

"Oh now you want to start being mother of the year. After the fact Blake is dead and gone," I retorted, crossing my arms.

"Blair," Dad gave me a silent warning with a stare of incredulity.

The promise Blair. The promise.

"Sorry," I mumbled. It's still hard trying to accept that she's back in my life now. Change doesn't come easy.

"It's alright. I understand. I don't expect you to come running to me in open arms," Mom took my attitude lightly and I remained silent.

"How about we go out to dinner?" Her mood piped up.

"I think that's a great idea," Dad nodded in a agreement. They both looked to me for an answer.