Chapter Twenty Seven

"We need to get out of here. I think he sent his men to look for me." I started to freak out as I locked the door of Nate's apartment.

"Who sent his men?" Sclera just had to ask.

"Turner."

"Your boss? Wasn't his name like James or something?" Fuck, her curiosity isn't good for a time like this.

"No. My debt with James was paid and done but this guy, Turner, is a whole other story."

"Why? What is it?"

"My father seemed to-never mind, it's complicated."

"What?!"

"Sclera, I do not have time to explain anything right now. We need to find somewhere safe." I quickly tried to shut her questioning.

"It's safe in here. They don't know Nate lives here." She said.

"Shh..let's just keep our voices low-" I whispered.

A loud knock came from the door a few steps away from us. They were knocking on Nate's apartment. Shit. The knocking seemed to seize a bit before continuing quite rapidly.

"Anyone in here?" A loud voice asked. "Anyone?" He asked again before knocking the door several more times.

Sclera had both her hands pressed against her mouth to muffle out any noise that might escape her lips. I, on the other hand, am too shocked and scared of what was to happen next.

The door handle moved downwards a few times. Luckily, I had locked it already. Thank God.

"Boss I think he ran off somewhere." The voice said.

"Keep searching. The state of his apartment indicated he was there not too long ago. And he has a girlfriend, they must've not gone too far." I heard a familiar voice say. It was Turner.

The door handle was pushed downwards again. "Should we check in this apartment?"

"No, you dumbass. Just go through Wilkinson's apartment once more and then check the perimeter of this building. We need to find him before it gets too dark." I heard Turner say and a flood of relief washes over me.

"Sclera." I whispered. "Stay in the bathroom."

"Why would I stay in the bathroom?" She made an attempt to whisper but failed quite miserably.

"Damnit. You'll be safe there. Just stay there for now. I have a plan."

"Fine." She gave in. But not without rolling her eyes. Always so stubborn. My favorite thing about her really. She was always so on track, always wanted things her way. And then I came in.

I stared at the magnificent beauty sitting in front of me. Despite her messy hair and smeared eyeliner, she was breathtaking. I stared at her beautiful, plump lips that are able to do wondrous things. Her eyes shone with independence although I don't see that much of it anymore. All I see now is anger and sadness. Damn I love her.

She watched me intently before speaking up, breaking the silent tension. "What are you thinking about?" She asked.

"You." I breathed out. I'm gonna marry you one day Sclera, my mind thought.