Shinigami hunting

"You're suggestion we just lure him here with a pile of apples?"
"Ah, that was what I was implying..."
"It might just work!"
I said, suddenly excited.
"What? You're actually agreeing with him?"
"Well think about it, when Ryuk first came here he told Light that apples were worth the trip, he also frequently stated that he was here simply because humans were interesting and he found the Shinigami realm boring. If we were to offer him apples and, well, to be able to watch the investigation unfold then he just might come."
"Some we just leave a bag of apples sitting out on the street over night and by the morning we'll have a God of Death knocking on our front door?"
"Its all we've got, it's worth a shot."
"I agreed with Mirai,"
Ł said, picking up a lolly and slowly unwrapping it,
"It may seem stupid and illogical but it's all we have to work with right now."
"If you say so,"
Aizawa said, shrugging.

"Matsuda,"
"Yes Ryuzaki?"
Matsuda said, proud that he had made an important contribution to case for once, eager to get some recognition from Ł.
"Go buy some apples."

10 minutes later I found myself walking beside Matsuda through the produce section of the supermarket.

"I can't believe he made us go and get the apples, why couldn't one of the others gone and got them?"
Matsuda complained, his victorious mood crushed.
"It's not that bad,"
I assured him,
"Besides, while we've got them we're more likely to attract a Shinigami, you never know, we could be the first to get some answers."
"Yeah, you're right. But no one seems to appreciate me being there, it's like I'm just in the way."
He looked away, frustrated.
"But you're not in the way,"
I told him, putting my hand on his shoulder.
"How would you know?"
He asked, pushing me away.
"From the start you were crucial to the task force, you're the reason the Kira case was a success. Without you so many more people would have died. Everyone listens to you, for goodness sake Ł wants you to be his successor!"
"Maybe here I'm treated like that, but not back at home. Everyone on the task force there treats me the same as you're being treated here. They think I'm useless and only in the way, don't you remember?"
"Yeah, right,"
Matsuda sighed,
"Let's just get the apples and go."
He turned away and walked over to the apples stand.

I sighed, I knew exactly how he felt and yet given the circumstances he just didn't seem to believe me. I followed him to the checkout counter where he paid for the items.

"Hey Mirai!"
I turned to see two familiar teenagers calling to me, Matt and Mello of course.

"Hey,"
I said as they approached me,
"Aren't you guys meant to be in Japan for some school group thing?"
I questioned them,
"Yeah, we are, but we needed chocolate and cigarettes so we came here."
Matt replied, looking up from his DS
"Cigarettes? Aren't you guys too young to buy them?"
"Yeah, that's why we came to you."
"Because?"
"You can get them for us."
"No."
"Aww come on, why not?"
"I'd rather not hand you lung cancer on a silver platter thank you very much."
I said crossing my arms, because seriously, I don't want to kill my two all time favourite anime characters, the fandom would totally bury me alive and dance on my grave.

"Geez, adults these days are no fun."
Matt muttered,
"Don't worry, we'll find another way to get them."
Mello bit of a piece of the chocolate he was holding,
"Let's go get the chocolate."
"Hey, what's with all the apples?"
Matt asked, peering around me to see Matsuda holding the large sack of apples.
"Classified."
Matsuda said, causing the two to burst into fits of laughter. Ok, so this isn't exactly helping Matsuda with what he was feeling right now.
"Believe it or not it actually is,"
I said when they had calmed down.
"Does it by any chance have something to do with that guy we were chasing earlier?"
"Yes actually."
"Cool, that car chase was awesome, I would so do that again if I got the chance."

No you really wouldn't, I thought, considering that was kinda how you died and all......

"We'd better be going,"
Matsuda said, turning away from us towards the door.

"Alright, but promise you won't tell Watari that we sneaked off kay?"
Matt asked,
"Yeah alright."
"Thanks Mirai!"

~~~~~~~~~~~

Am I the only one feeling sorry for Matsuda right now?

2 updates in one day! An all time record.....I think....