Chapter 1: New Beginings and a New Roomate

All I could see was the endless shades of blue out my airplane window. I never would've thought high school was going to go by so fast and now here I am off to college on the other side of the world. I pull the shutter down and shut my eyes,trying to get as much rest as possible,since in a few hours I would be landing in Australia and later on meeting my new roommate. I could already feel butterflies in my stomach but I had a good feeling, new country, new people, new start.
"Attention all passengers, welcome to Australia!The plane will be landing soon, please put on your seat-belts,thank you and we hope you enjoyed your flight." My head hurt, I was definitely ready to catch up on some sleep whenever I got to my dorm. I pulled up the shutter and soon Rays of sunshine were seeping in illuminating the whole plane. After all the hecticness of finding my bags and a taxi, I was off to my new university . I heard that Australians were relatively friendly, not sure if that was just a taboo from people from the states, but I doubt anyone will be as snarky than some of my friends back  in Georgia. After I arrived, I was greeted by the tall buildings and the stunning campus of Monash University. It was absolutely stunning, with confidence I made my way towards my dorm, it took a while, but I found my way. I glanced at my schedule and saw in the top right corner 'D112'. Before I knew it , I was waiting outside my dorm room about ready to knock, until suddenly I heard someone squeal and then an outburst of giggles.
"James stop that,please, HAHAHAHA." The voice came from a girl and her accent definitely threw me off, suddenly my palms grew sweaty and I felt a lump form in my throat. I slowly twisted my key And opened the door, there in front of me was a girl and a boy I assume was James. They were lying on the floor with a scrabble board and candy wrappers scattered everywhere. The girl got up frantically and smiled, "I'm so sorry I forgot you were coming in today! Welcome, I'm Mackenzie,pleasure to meet you." James raised his eyebrows and grinned ear to ear,
"What a welcome you gave mate, come on I could do better," he scoffed. Mackenzie's smile faded away and she chucked a pillow straight at his head."Shut up James," she said as she rolled her eyes,"Please don't mind my boyfriend he can be quite a tease sometimes." I just stood there looking blankly, the boy kept matching his gaze with mine and I could feel my cheeks begin to heat up.
"Oh um I'm Dakota, nice to uh meet you." They both turned to each other with looks of awe then back at me ,"an American?" They said in sync. I felt so uncomfortable I was looking at my shoes and soon once again my eyes met James's,they were dark brown with a mix of hazel. His hair was a big bush of curls that matched the shade of his eyes. He seemed like a nice guy, definitely different than the ones back home. I nodded at their statement and showed myself to the empty bed. "Let me help you with your bags, you're probably exhausted." James said as he approached the hallway and came back carrying just about everything I had packed. It was then I realized how tall he was. I was one of the tallest people in high school standing at 5'10 but James literally towered over me by a few inches.
"I'm so excited we're roommates , this is totally going to be a blast." Mackenzie squealed. She was a pretty girl, her eyes were a bright green and her dark auburn hair cascaded in waves past her shoulders. "Sorry ladies I've got to go to football practice, nice meeting you Dakota,bye!" James said as he pecked Mackenzie on the lips and rushed out the door. For the rest of the day Mackenzie rambled on and on about how excited she was, howJames was an amazing football player and basically gave me every detail of their relationship. By the time she finished talking I had unpacked majority of all my stuff,this was definitely going to be a long night and soon enough,the jet lag began to kick in.