When it comes time to pick our pieces, I choose Thimble. I don't know why, but I always do. I feel like it's just an impulse now.

We roll to see who goes first. Dad rolls the highest. By going clockwise, Michelle goes second, my mom goes third, and I go fourth. And then, the game begins.

"Ha! Boardwalk is mine!" I exclaim, picking up the card.

"Man, now I'll have to pay you a ton of money if I want a Monopoly," Dad sighs. He has Boardwalk's counterpart, and he knows that I don't give it up easily. Boardwalk is my favorite square.

Well, they're more like rectangles, but my point remains.

By the time it was nine o'clock, we called an official pause. Mom wrote down who's turn it was, we took a picture of the board, and Michelle drove home. We spent three hours on it already, and no one was anywhere near bankrupt.

I hop upstairs and into my bathroom. While I brush my teeth, I run the shower water so it'll warm up. When I step in, I get overtaken by the hot water.

I wonder what it'd be like to have a relationship like Michelle and Simon's. They were so secure about themselves. I'm completely comfortable with Eric, but I don't know how I'd fare without clothes on or something.

I imagine him standing right next to me. He'd probably call me beautiful and kiss me. Just like a gentleman.

The next night, Michelle came over again so we could play more Monopoly. It lasted another few hours before she went home and we took another picture of the board.

When I went upstairs to work on homework before my shower, I found my phone sitting on the floor. I had no idea I even lost it.

When I plugged it in and it turned on, I noticed a few texts from Peter. They must be from before he called.

Some of them were. One was from an hour ago.

I also rented Top Gun and Airplane, if you wanted to stay a little after the marathon.

I smile. Top Gun and Airplane are two classics. The marathon is supposed to end around eleven. Four hours later and it's three in the morning.

Regardless, I still responded with a yes.

After hitting send, I check my inbox for any more messages. One was Michelle telling me when her next appointment is, the week after Halloween. The other one was from my cousin, Quinn. She asked how I was doing, and if my family would come up to the cabin with them for Thanksgiving. I told her that it sounds like a great idea and that I am looking forward to it.

The cabin is a tradition on my mom's side. Her brother, Alan, and his family, would stay there with us and we'd all celebrate. Their parents passed away a little while ago, so it's always just been us seven. Quinn has a little brother named Alex.

It would be kind of nice to get away for a little while. Michelle can always call me if she needs me, and Eric will be just fine without me. Granted, this is a month away.

I shower and get into bed. The clock says it's just after nine. Such a great time to go to sleep.

I awkwardly waddle up to the front door. My satchel is slung over my shoulder, five bags of unpopped popcorn in it, along with a bunch of candy and a water bottle.

I reach my hand up to knock when the door opens. Simon's mom is standing there. Her eyes are sullen, she has little wrinkles that must be recent, and she's wearing a large flannel over sweatpants.