Chapter 1

Chapter I The beginning of something big

Makail wakes up and looks out a window and sees that the sun is starting to rise. Another day has begun Makail thought and another day means more work for the day.

The Makail got up and stretched for at least two minutes then he sat up and rubbed his eyes to clear his vision. Makail got out of bed and went to the kitchen for something to eat for the day. What he had for breakfast that day and for most other days was a piece of bread with blackberry jam.

Makail starts out his day waking up a little bit before sunrise and gets ready. Then is off to the wheat fields which is where he  starts his day by cutting and stacking bundles of wheat using a scythe. By midday Makail usually gives other people the stacks of wheat but now he is 12 falls old. This is old enough to take the wheat to the Miller's to make into flour. The cart is heavy and Mr Wheaton makes a joke of the Miller's only being on the other side of the village and tells Makail that he is glad he is helping.

Halfway to the miller's Makail is sweaty and slightly sore, he wipes the sweat from his forehead and thinks well I guess this is another challenge I get to overcome. When he finally gets to the miller's Mrs Miller, a plump lady is gracious to see Makail and says she will have her daughter run a message back to Mr Wheaton and offers a task to bring a small delivery of flour to the baker. Which was a pound this time but he usually got half a pound. The baker always gave him a treat so he said yes. With the two handles of the cart in hand and just remembered that flour was heavier than wheat and thought, dang I forgot how heavy a pound of flour is.

After delivering the wheat to the baker he was allowed to pick any one of the treats that were cooling in the kitchen.  Makail picks a blackberry pie his favorite.  The baker says sure you can have it, for 4 bags of flour. Makail smacks himself in the forehead and says he only has 2 bags. The baker offers the pie if he will make a delivery for him. Makail readily agrees. Then suspiciously says, “it's not a cart of sugar is it?” “No.” says the baker. “Just a cake.” Makail proceeds to deliver the cake on his way home.

...

In the woods collecting firewood for the night. Makail is taking his anger out on the leaves on the ground as he picks up branches, since once again he had to go collect the firewood. He had been doing this since he was 5 years old and had to at least grab ten pieces of thick wood, and his dad’s meaning for thick wood is 1 foot long a diameter of 2 inches. His dad definition of thick wood was now 3 feet long and a diameter of 6 inches. Now he was hoping to clobber a mound of dirt or set sail a rock or two since of what they always to make him go and once again they said when you get older you can go tell your boy to get the firewood until then it is your duty in this family. With his arms full and that thought on his mind he takes one last kick at a hopeful pile of leaves. Only leaves go flying. Leaving his foot up at the top of the kick he swings it back and using the momentum he spins on his toes and just one final kick. He happily feels something solid and a rock flies out from under the leaves. The rock hits a tree with enough force to take a wedge of bark off. Makail is mildly satisfied and watches the stone's trajectory as it bounces off another tree the comes directly back at him. He thinks oh no. Holding the branches he had collected and not wanting to drop them Makail hopped up thinking the stone would fly between his legs. Instead the stone was victorious in its payback and hit Makail in the middle of his forehead.  He crumbled to the ground dropping all the branches and feeling the burning pain in his skull. Blinking back the stars and tears Makail notices the rock that he had kicked was laying there in the pile of leaves and branches. It was like no other stone he had seen before. At first he was entranced at the beauty of the stone. It was black and had a  iridescent sparkle. Flat and oblong with a small bulge on one end like a pendent. The first thing that came to his mind was that a piece of the night sky had fallen down and turned to stone and now he knew not to mess with the sky. Then he said to the rock “you hurt little fella”. He forgot all about his pain and picked up the rock. Half expecting it to be warm he found it to be very cold and smooth. Makail turned the rock over in his hand a few times inspecting it. "I think I will take you home and show you to Alivia. She loves rocks and will be excited to see you". With that Makail put the stone in his pocket picked up the branches and headed home. He noticed some ominous storm clouds in the sky and started walking a little quicker. He did not want to get rained on, again.