Chapter 46: The calm before the storm

Start from the beginning

"I wish you all the best" I added to the group then. "The next time we gather it will be in battle. I would suggest that you say your goodbyes to your loved ones now, for some of you will surely meet your end tonight." The silence which followed my words was tinged with an atmosphere I couldn't quite describe.

When my eyes once again met the Alpha's he nodded, before he draped an arm across the shoulders of the young wolf beside him—Laken was his name— and they turned to leave. The rest of the wolves melted away soon after his departure; no doubt going to make their final preparations and to do as I'd urged them.

When next I looked at Zahir he was smiling, and when I raised a brow in question his smile transformed itself into a grin. "I had almost forgotten how direct you tend to be."

"I had imagined you would be away much longer. Your timing seems to be too perfect to be a coincidence." I told him. "And you know how I feel about coincidences."

He nodded as we began to walk slowly across the courtyard. "It is true of course that my arrival is not a coincidence. Your father ordered our return two days prior. I had expected an audience with him as to the reason. However upon our visit to the camp today, it was clear that was not to be."

I nodded. "Father expects your aid in fending off our enemies. He would not be pleased that you are here."

"What your father does not know will not hurt him." He smiled. "I learned that Lord Christophe is here and I decided to lend my aid."

"Ah...I should have known it was the white-haired devil that led you here."

He laughed; a deep, full sound that I had certainly missed while he had been away.

"What has the young Lord done to warrant such a name?"

"The fool very nearly had my mate killed, not once, but twice!" I spat with displeasure. "Had it not been for the promise I made to you, he would today be without a head, and even now I am still tempted."

He laughed again. "I am of course sorry to hear that Tony had ever been put in such a position."

"I'm sure."

He was grinning when he placed a hand on my shoulder. "Truly Rien. I will even go as far as to apologize to you on his behalf... Lord Christophe can be...a handful."

"He must truly be the devil, for only Lucifer himself could bring such torment to someone's soul."

"I can see that he has indeed upset you, but no matter. I am here now to set your soul aright." He said happily. "Now tell me, where is the young Lord? I have not seen sight of him in too long. I find that I miss him dreadfully."

I waved at nothing in particular as we came to a stop by the corridor which housed the pathway to Tony's room. "Perhaps he is on a frolic around the camp with Noah. It seems they have grown close."

His brows furrowed and his mouth turned down in a frown. "A frolic?" he said carefully, before he turned to look around the courtyard, searching for the absent Lord.

"Noah seems to be in deep conversation with Lord Marcan. Lord Christophe is nowhere in sight." He announced with obvious relief and I smiled despite myself.

"Lord Christophe is no good for you. When he breaks your heart you will see that."

"I thought the same of your human and look at you now." He grinned. Ever positive, ever pleasant. It was as though he had never left.

"Come." I turned to face the corridor once more. "I wish my mate to meet the person who has watched over him for many a year."

Zahir's gaze traveled over the yard once more, before he did as I requested and we walked silently along the tiles of the corridor. When we came upon the door to Tony's bed chamber, Zahir's eyes met mine and a smile as bright as I had ever seen it rose in his face, for we could hear voices from within, one of which belonged to the wretched young Lord.