Chapter 4

Bright lights, white walls, and a pair of brown eyes. Those are all I see I when I finally open my eyes. The horrible buzz was still in my ears as I picked up the smell of flowers. Once things started to focus and could move, I could make out the image of sleeping Sadie standing next to me. I could see the nurse as she came in with a clipboard and fiddled with a bunch of stuff. I tried to speak but my voice wasn't working. She left the room.

"Sadie?" I croaked after a couple of minutes, and started to cough. She woke with a start.

"Jessie?! Oh my gosh! Max! Matt! She's awake!"

"Wha-? Oh, Jessie you're awake!" exclaimed Max jumping up from his chair, yet still slow from sleep. "Jessie, oh Jessie!" He knelt down and grabbed my hand. I smiled warmly.

"Matt? Oh for goodness sake Matt, Wake up!" Sadie commanded, seizing his wrist and hoisting him out of his chair. His thick, dirty blond hair was in a huge nest on the top of his head.

"Jessie? Jessie! Holy noodles! You're alive!" Matt declared, and hobbled towards me.

"Okay, everyone back off!" ordered the nurse that just re-entered the room. Max, Sadie and Matt all stepped back as the nurse checked a bunch of tubes and stuff. Her face was hard but had kind eyes.

"What happened? How long have I been out? Are my parents okay?!" I questioned my friends in a raspy voice. I could only imagine and ending like in The Book Thief.

"Whow, one question at a time Jessie!" Sadie chuckled as the nurse took my pulse. Sadie pulled out her smartphone, "I need to text your parents that you're fine and you're awake. And that they should get Nate and Aaron from school." I let out a sigh of relief.

"As for how long you've been in minimal consciousness," injected Max, "approximately three days."

"Three," I coughed, "days?!"

"Yeah, we were getting really worried," confessed Sadie. "Oh, and all of the flowers are from either us, your parents, or from some of the kids at school. There were a lot of cards too, but put those in your room for when you get back." Sadie informed me.

"Well, you know Jessie, it could have been worse. I heard about this one girl, that was asleep for fourteen years before she woke up!" Matt fantasized in an excited voice. I smiled, I was used to Matt's crazy stories. But I was sure that it was also possible for that one to be true.

"Give the stories a break Matt," Sadie laughed, and gave him a light kiss.

***

Over the next few days I slept a lot. I felt drained all the time, like I was fighting off a huge cold. But as the time passed, I was able to stay awake longer. Between intervals of sleep, family and friends were able to tell me what happened when they found me unconscious in my bed.

It turns out that when my dad couldn't shake me awake, my mom freaked out in typical mom fashion by calling 911. I was transported to the hospital with Max trying to trail the ambulance. My parents were able to get together a group of people to pray for me every night from my church. Matt, Sadie, and Max were able to gather and organize most of the flowers and cards while on their shifts too. I even made it in the local newspaper! Not that it was for the right reasons.

As I recovered in the hospital, nurses and doctors would travel in and out of my room from time to time. They talked of moving me into physical therapy, but I seemed to be recovering remarkably fast. A couple days after my reprievel from the dead, I was sent home. I was still home from school the rest of the week but I was able to make up all my homework and was back at school before the Washington D. C. trip. Of course, everyone was worried about my health, but after I got an okay to travel from the doctors, and the school loosened their grip, slightly.