Chapter 3

"Jessie, would you get up already? Max is going to be here in fifteen minutes!" Yelled my dad threw my bedroom door.

"Ahh... what?" I asked dazed, but he had already left. "Holy crap! 7 o' clock!" I shrieked looking at my alarm clock. Ever since I had come back from the funeral I had been sleeping more than ever! I rushed to get ready for school and was able to take a personal record for the fasted shower I've ever taken; at five minutes, twenty-three seconds.

"Are you sure you are alright, Jessie," asked my mom, she was talking about my habit to sleep through my alarm since I got sick after the funeral. So, like, for two weeks.

"Mom, I'm fine." I confirmed, "I just seem to be sleeping deeper, so I sleep through my alarm,"

"I'm just afraid you're coming down with something,"

"Look, I have to go, Max is in the driveway. Talk later?" I declared and marched out the door and into Max's truck.

"Did you sleep well last night?" Max asked when I sat down in the passenger seat.

"Why?"

"You look kind of tired," he noted, pulling out of my driveway.

"Why is everyone so worried about my sleeping habits?" I demanded.

"Did you stay up late reading again?"

"No, I seem to sleep fine. I just get these weird dreams-"

"Dreams? What kind of dreams?"

"Well, they tend to be about this guy, I think who is about our age, and his life in a boarding school. His name is Jack, his best friend's name is Roy. The school might be in Indiana, but it wasn't exactly clear. But instead of just being a bystander, it was more like I was inside of his brain, like we were thinking the same thing," It all came naturally, I have never hidden anything from Max.

"That's weird Jessie. Are you reading about anything like that, or thinking about it during the day? Or a lot before you go sleep?"

"No, not really," and we were quiet the rest of the way to school.

"Jessie, I think you've really gone weird this time," Sadie laughed when I told her about my dreams at lunch. "Is Max not good enough for you that you have to invent someone in your dreams?" she whispered glancing at Max, who was sitting next to me. He just rolled his eyes.

"No! Nothing like that!" I declare.

"Well, here's that book you wanted from the library," said Matt, handing me City of Bones. He had study hall today so I had asked him to get the book for me because I didn't get the chance.

"So, is everyone excited for the big field trip next week?" asked Max.

"Duh!" confirmed Matt louder than the rest of us, "Hey, does anyone know who their roommates are for the hotel?"

"Oh, I have Sadie!" I piped up.

"I have some guy named Alex in my group, I think," noted Matt, "Hey, I heard one time, this guy went on the D.C. trip, and the elevator broke while he was in it. And no one realized he was missing, until after they got back to school." Matt added with a smile that gave away the joke.

"That's... unfortunate," Sadie replied slowly, playing along.

"I have Luke Kander," Max stated in a lighter tone, "he's in my natural science class. He couldn't tell the difference between an acorn and a walnut," Max said with a smirk. We all laughed, like we always do, trying to act smart so Max doesn't look like the only intelligent one at the table. Or maybe it's just me.

We finished lunch and went to our next classes. The day felt really slow as I dealt with annoying classmates and homework. I resisted the urge to read during Social Studies class, where Mr. Johnson talked about the history of our fair city, a suburb of St. Paul, Minnesota. So instead I tried to pay attention, while doodling in my notebook, I made it look like I was taking notes. By the time he finished talking, I had attempted to draw the cover of City of Bones. I don't consider myself a very good artist, but I thought I did a pretty good job. Alex drove me to the bookstore after school where I worked my usual shift and put a bunch of new books on the shelves. I took the bus to the bus stop and walked from the stop to my house. When I walked into the kitchen I picked up the note that was on the table. I read:

Jessie, we all went to Nate's track meet. There are some leftovers in the fridge. We'll be back around 10:00.

-Mom

I looked at the clock, 7:02. I have a while until they get home. Before I went to start my homework, I warmed up some tacos and put the laundry in the dryer. When I sat down at my desk, I found the box under some papers. Immediately, I felt absorbed by the box. As if it was the only thing in the world. I should open it. I mean, what else would I do with it than open it. I blinked hard, I can't let it control me. My fingers touched the latch, I still haven't fainted yet. I undid the latch, still didn't faint. I slowly opened the lid and looked inside.

It was a necklace. The design was twenty-four silver circles, all bound together to make a sphere. In the center of the sphere was a clear cut diamond. The diamond was also a sphere but there was a small ring that connected it with the diamond to the roof of the sphere.

I moved the necklace between my fingers. What is so special about it that dad didn't want me to have it? I unhooked the latch and slid the necklace around my neck. My eyes burned when I blinked, trying not to let the necklace take over. I had to get the thing off before I fainted again. I brought the latch around my neck so that I could see it.

Wait. Why do I want to unlatch it? It looks pretty, I bet Max would like it.

No. I blinked. No, no I have to take it off. Blink.

It's no big deal.

I forgot to blink.

But if I'm going to keep it I should see how it looks. I blinked. I walked over to my desk, I kept my eyes on the necklace, where I had a mirror on the wall. Instinctively, I pulled away the chair, like I always do, sat down and looked into the mirror.

***

Ow! My head!

My head was searing with pain. It was so intense, my hands pressed hard to my forehead; my eyes clenched shut.

Pain.

Pain.

Pain.

My ears started to buzz. Loud and obnoxious. I stumbled over to my bed, maybe resting would help. The last thing I remember is falling face first onto my bed.