Chapter 31

Tris POV

I wake up again before sunrise, though this time Tobias is sleeping soundly next to me. His strong arm wrapped around me protectively as though if he let go I might disappear. I turn in his grasp and face him. I feel bad waking him, he looks so peaceful and like his age instead of the stresses of whatever has been happening to us, to him. He has had so much negativity in his life I just hope that everything can get resolved soon. He deserves some happiness. I place my lips on his softly.

"Tobias...Wake up" I say in a sing song voice.

I feel his grip tighten around me as he brings me closer to his chest. His face snuggling into the nape of my neck, his nose brushing though my hair. His mesmerizing eyes fluttering open and his perfect smile captivates me and I am left momentarily breathless.

"Morning Beautiful"

He stretches his arms above his head as he sits up exposing his muscular chest too me, I am sure I must blush. I shake my head slightly to clear my head and break eye contact. I hear Tobias softly chuckle. I know he caught me staring.

"Come on Tris we have to get ready to leave if we want to make it to your parent's by lunch."

He exits the bed and walks to his wardrobe picking out his clothes for today's travel. Once he enters the bathroom I get up the sheets falling to the floor as I do. I grab my outfit and change in his room. I knock on the door letting him know I am ready and he emerges. It amazes me that he can just act as if yesterday didn't happen. I guess being dauntless taught him to just keep moving forward no matter what is happening around you. We grab a quick bite to eat and make our way to the carriage that is waiting for us. I notice a large shadow of a person waiting as well and I freeze mid step and gasp. Tobias must notice because he grabs me closer to him as if to shield me from a possible attack.

Tobias POV

After eating a quick breakfast I grab Tris' hand and head towards the carriage. Tris freezes and I hear her let out a gasp. I grab her when I notice a large shadow outside the carriage, and shield her small frame with my larger.

"Who's there?" I say slightly louder than normal.

"Eric, Four."

I instantly relax my grip on Tris. She sighs in relief. I look down at her as she looks up at me with both chuckle slightly before calming back down and walking towards Eric.

"What are you doing here?" I inquire.

Eric looks between us and the carriage before speaking.

"I was just making sure no one sneaked in while it waited for you both. Are you sure you don't want me to accompany you?"

"We will be fine beside I need you here with the guards in case something happens, as well as find a way of making my would be kidnappers talk." I place my hand firmly on his shoulder and give him a nod. He nods before turning back towards the castle.

Tris looks at his receding figure.

"Are you sure were going to be alright?"

"Tris, I promise I will never let anything bad happen to you. You're able to protect yourself better now and I have means of protecting ourselves." I say while patting my right hip. She seems to stiffen a bit at that realization but gives a curt nod before entering the carriage. We make our way towards the Kingdom of Abnegation, Tris' former home I have to say I am slightly nervous I want to make a good impression on her parents for some strange reason I just really want them to like me. I know Tris' family is important to her and I don't want there to be any negativity between them and myself.

I watch Tris as she stares out the window, stiff and anxious. I grab a hold of her hand and start to rub what I hope are calming circles across her palms with my thumb. She turns her head to look at me her hair falling in front of her eyes. I push the fallen strands behind her ear. I leave my hand lingering on her neck. She looks up at me through her long lashes as I lean down slightly our foreheads touching.

"Everything is going to be alright Tris."

She lifts her head slightly connecting her lips to mine. It is so soft as if a ghost has touched them, she pulls back for only a moment, but it is a moment too long. I bring my lips to hers this time we are more confident in our actions and I am lost to her. When we pull apart her hand is resting over my rapidly beating heart and she rests her head on my shoulder as I wrap my arm around her body.

"Get some rest Tris. I'll fight off the monsters."

"With what Tobias?"

"With my bare hands of course, now rest."

I kiss her forehead as I watch her eyes flutter closed. I look out the window as we ride further from Dauntless.