Chapter 9

Tobias POV

My heart is racing. I can't believe I told her everything. Not even Max or Zeke know everything that happened that night. How does she have this control over me to just breakdown all my walls and let her in, and then to top it all off she never once showed me a pinch of pity. I don't feel like a kicked puppy. My hand feels like it is holding a firework, I wonder if she feels this too. When we get to the dining hall Zeke and Uriah immediately walk up to Tris and apologies for the water bucket. I chuckle silently. If only she knew that is how I get woken up most mornings, she would never want to share a bed with me, and I really want her too so I better not tell her that part. I feel my ears get a bit warm, oh man am I blushing from thinking about Tris sharing my bed, I am turning into a girl.

"Four, you alright bro?" Zeke.

"Yeah Zeke I'm good." Close save.

Hey my hand feels cold. I look down and Tris is no longer holding my hand. I look over to her and see Max and Hana walking towards her, her hands gripping at the hem of the tunic I gave her. I walk away from Zeke while he was in mid-sentence and take her hand back into my own.

"Good Morning Beatrice." Hana speaks gently with a small smile on her face.

"Good Morning your majesty, but if you don't mind would you please call me Tris from now on."

"Of course my dear and please call me Hana." Tris bows her head in respect. Max turns to me.

"Four, any word on what happened last night? I have to say I was quite surprised by the news why didn't you wake me?"

"Sorry sir. I was thinking more about making sure Tris here was alright then thinking about disturbing the whole castle. The guards that I sent to check around the castle found only a few tracks that led into the trees, they think they climbed them and jumped tree to tree to keep from being tracked. While the ones that checked out Tris' room found nothing that would have broken the glass. I think someone possibly climbed the walls and actually entered her room to collect her and any evidence of their being there, but she was smart enough to hide herself well enough not to be found. Even I had issues finding her."

Max nods and told me to keep him posted. I agreed. And we all sat down to eat. I had just put a piece of toast in my mouth when Tris blurts out that she wants to learn to fight and train like a dauntless. With my hand still on the toast, mouth still closed I feel my gaze turn towards her as well as everyone else at the table.

Tris POV

I know I expected something but silence was definitely not it. I wonder why everyone is looking at me with such shock in their eyes. It makes since to me I have been threatened attacked twice and I want to be able to protect myself and my new family. I see Tobias finally take his bite of toast and place it back down onto his plate.

"Tris, the females don't really do that sort of thing here." He says matter of fact like after clearing his throat.

"Why not? I just want to be able to protect myself. It is obvious that someone is after me for some reason. I would feel better if I knew something in the way of self-preservation."

I think I hit a nerve there. Self-preservation and Abnegation don't really coexist together but it is one of the driving forces of Dauntless. I see Max and Tobias having a silent conversation with their eyes. One slight nod later and Tobias looks back at me. I get lost in his eyes for a second before realizing I should probably listen to what he is going to say, and quickly look away.

"Alright Tris, I will teach you the basics of how a dauntless solider is trained."

"No offense Four, but I want to be trained the same way anyone would be, give me your best trainer."

"I am."

I look at him and it clicks he is the best fighter, of course he would also be a trainer he is next in line for the thrown, it's his duty.

"Great. When do we start?"

Tobias POV

"All right Tris" I say looking her in the eyes. Man I could get lost in those eyes forever. "I will teach you the basics of how a dauntless solider is trained."

She gives me the most incredulous look ever.

"No offense Four" I don't think I like how she said my name. "But I want to be trained the same way anyone would be, give me your best trainer."

Ah, now I understand what that look was for, she thought I was just doing it to protect her and keep her safe. Well, this might be more fun than I thought.

"I am." I tell her looking at her straight in the eyes. I think I see something in her eyes click. A small smile forming on her beautiful lips.

"Great. When do we start?"

This makes me smile too. I think today just got more interesting.

"How about now." With that I extend my hand to her, she accepts. And we leave the dining hall. "First you need to get changed."

I lead her to the training center and grab her clothes. She gives me a chaste kiss on the check and goes into a changing stall. When she emerges my mouth hits the floor. She looks amazing. Not pretty, not beautiful, not gorgeous, all those words are too small for her appearance. She looks...she looks... awake, and I know I am falling in love with her. I wonder if it is too soon to tell her.

Tris POV

Tobias hands me a pile of clothes plus a pair of boots. I go into the changing stall and quickly undress and change into the training attire. Everything feels tight and I am feeling slightly exposed. I have never warn such form fitting clothes. It makes my small stature feel even smaller, though the shirt does give the illusion of having slight curves and the pants make me appear more willowy then childish. I have to say, though I feel a bit out of place, I like this. I feel like Tris.

When I walk back to Tobias his eyes widen and his mouth goes slack. His normally ocean blue eyes darken almost black. He looks at me like I am the only person he could ever see. It makes me feel loved.