Chapter 34

Tris POV

I finish up everything in the garden and decide to go and see if Tobias is awake yet. As I am walking through a hallway I hear Marcus talking to a guard. I quietly make my way to the end of the hall but as I do the guard comes from around the corner I guess they finished talking. I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Maybe I am just paranoid with everything that has been happening lately.

"Oomph" I hear echo through the hall, I have always been taught to help out my fellow man and so I decide to walk over there and see if I can help whoever fell. As I turn the corner I see Marcus on the ground unconscious and Tobias leaning against the wall in what I think is shock. He looks so angry and for once I am scared not scared of him but scared for whatever has happened to him, he looks like he is about to unravel, explode and vomit all at the same time. I am kneeling next to Marcus, my godfather checking his pulse.

"What did you do Four?" I look at him sharply.

"I-I had to, I needed to."

"Why?"

What could Marcus have done to deserve this? Maybe he overheard the conversation between him and the guard. I am worried, I look up at him.

"Four? Marcus? Dear lord are you alright? What happened here?"

I turn my head towards the voice I have known my entire life. My father.

"Guards, help Marcus to the infirmary. I need to have a word with Four and Beatrice. Make sure he is well taken care of, but stay with him till I am there. Understood?"

The guards nod in reply and carefully carry Marcus to the infirmary. I get up off the ground and look at Tobias. I am still unsure of what has happened and how I feel about it so I decide to remain silent till I hear what Tobias has to say.

"Well son?"

"May we go into a private room?"

I guess it must be something serious to request such a thing at a time like this. Father allows this and we walk into his private den with Tobias following behind us.

Father sits in his chair behind his desk and I sit in a chair on the side of him. Tobias remains standing. I hear Tobias take a deep breath and begins to retell the same story about that horrible night he lost his parents, I finally look up at him as I place the pieces together and let out a gasp. When Tobias finishes I get up from my chair and walk to him giving him a hug, I place my head on his chest over his heart. He is such a brave man, braver than he even comprehends. He thinks what Marcus did to him makes him weak, he is wrong. I look down at his hand and see it red and puffy, I grab it and Tobias lets out a hiss of pain. I look back to my father awaiting his judgment. I am worried, could he not believe him and stop our wedding?

"Well" Father starts. His finger tapping his chin as if in deep thought. "Four, it is not that I don't believe you, but I can't see how Marcus could have done those horrible things. I have known him since I was around your age and he has always been an outstanding member of society. You were quite young when that horribleness happened to you, is it possible you were mistaken?"

I can't believe my father why would Four lie about something like that.

"With all due respect your majesty, I could and would never forget that face, those eyes or that smile."

Father nods slowly and methodically.

"Well is there any proof to him actually harming you?"

I can't take this any longer how dare he

"No!" I yell. "Father how dare you ask him something like that, Four you don't have to show him anything." I look at Tobias before turning back to my father. "And you, if you are too blinded by that man's supposed act that you turn a blind eye to my future husband than we have nothing more to say to you. Why would Four lie about something like that, why would he tell you his most deepest scarring secrets and details that he has never even told his family about only me and now you, than you are in no position to be king."