Chapter 11

Tobias POV

I lead Tris to the stables. Most of the Dauntless soldiers are either eyeing Tris like prey or like a joke. I keep my face emotionless. Out here in front of the men I am FOUR the tough menacing trainer and I have to keep up that act to keep respect of my men. Once we get inside the stables I can relax a bit since no one else is around.

"This is Ember. She was my mother's horse, after my mother died I kept her and have trained with her since. She is sweet and well trained. Do you know how to ride?"

I stop petting Ember for a second and glance over to Tris.

"No, I have never learned."

How could she have never ridden a horse before? What do the Abnegation even do for fun, I guess I will have to ask her to find out.

I tell her she is going to learn today, and ask her if she wants to ride my mother's horse. No one besides myself has ridden her since my mother's death. Tris looks a bit taken aback, and asks me if I am sure.

"It would be a great honor." I look at her with love and hope in my eyes. I can tell she is looking for any signs of discomfort or disloyalty, I have none. She smiles, and I melt.

"I still would like to have a horse on my own so we can go riding together, but I would love to learn on Ember."

I feel myself smile wider as I grab the saddle and start preparing Ember. Tris stands there watching me. I feel her eyes burning into my back, my skin feels like it is on fire. I love the feeling. She has such control over me, and I have never felt anything like it before. I look over at her.

"Like what you see?"

I see Tris close her mouth. I don't think she even realized it was open. Her cheeks glow red. It could put a tomato to shame. I chuckle, at least I have a certain control over her as well.

"Okay. She is ready for you. Come here." I extend my hand out to her and she gingerly takes hold of it. I can tell she is slightly nervous, but she doesn't back down. She is braver then she knows, and she acts Dauntless without even realizing it. My heart beats faster as I place my hands on her waist.

"Here, place your foot on this rung."

I lift her up, she weighs nothing I need to get some muscles on this girl. It is at this moment I realize how right she was, she does need some way to help protect herself even just putting on some muscle making it harder to just pick her up and fling her over ones shoulder. I tell her to throw her other foot over the saddle. She looks at me for a moment.

"Dauntless don't ride side saddle." I say emotionless.

She nods and throws her foot over. I take the reins and guide Tris and Ember to the training field.

"Are you ready? Just remember you wanted to learn just like a dauntless solder would."

I see Tris' eyes widen as she understands fully what I mean. I smile, give a slight whack to Ember and yell out "YAH". I laugh to myself as I hear a small yip leave Tris' lips as she races off around the field. I climb to the top rung of the fence and sit, my eyes never leaving Tris.

I don't even realize some of the dauntless soldiers starting to clamor around me watching her in the same amazement as I feel towards her. We all stare at her in shock and awe when she takes a hand off the reign and I feel a lump in my throat form as I see her head straight towards a jump. She is flawless. The soldiers cheer and I cheer louder then all of them. I am so proud of her, then she jumps again and again. I see Zeke, Uriah, Shauna, and Marlene also watching in awe.

"She is really good at this, has she been riding long?" Shauna asks.

"It's her first time." I reply, all four of their mouths drop.

"She's a natural, she might even be better than Eric" Zeke states.

I smile at the thought of Eric losing to someone other than me, and a princess no less. I see Tris heading straight for me. She stops a mere six inches from my body, I don't even flinch. I trust Tris and Ember with my life, and I am willing to prove that to her. She is breathing hard a smile on her face, eyes wide with adrenaline and she jumps off the horse.

"So what is next?" I know she is hooked. She was made for Dauntless.

"You're going to shoot a gun." I smile, as I jump off the fence and scoop her into my arms, I bury my face into her hair that I always have a need to touch and smell. I spin her while I hug her. When we pull away she looks up at me and stands on her toes. God she is so small, I love how she looks. Then she surprise me once again by giving me a chaste kiss on the lips. I hear more cheering from my men.

"Tris you're a natural." I state as a matter of fact.

"No, I'm Dauntless."

That you are Tris, I think to myself.

It is my turn to kiss her now. I kiss her with so much emotion willing the kiss to be able to express my feelings for her. We pull away. I tell a stable boy to get Ember back to her stall, and request a new horse for Tris. I grab her hand, interlace our fingers together and head to the shooting range.