Chapter 26

Tobias POV

The next couple of days are spent in meetings with Max, Hana, Tris and myself going over the laws, finances, community involvement, military needs, and anything else Max and Hana deem important before our coronation.

Tris has been here a week now, though it feels so much longer and yet not long enough. We decided after breakfast to head to the gym since she needs the most work on getting her physical strength up. Today I am having her focus mostly on kicks.

She is excelling in roundhouse kicks, but needs work on her front kick, that should be the most powerful of them, and would be the most useful if attacked by multiple people.

Right when she goes to give me a side kick to the ribs, I quickly grab her and sweep my leg under her other bringing her down to the ground, I hear the door open and murmuring around us from the soldiers that are in the gym. I let go of Tris and help her up, then we both turn our attention to the person that just walked in. I look down at Tris and notice a smile creeping up on her face.

"Eric!" she yells as she runs up to him and wraps her arms around his chest. I breathe she is just friends with him, and beside he doesn't go for girls. I just have to keep reminding myself of that last part.

Tris POV

"How are you feeling?" I ask Eric, I let go of him and he looks down at me with a soft friendly smile.

"I'm alright princess. Finally allowed out of my cell." He chuckles.

I see Four walking towards us and I smile at him as he approaches Eric. Tobias extends his hand to him.

"Welcome back to the land of the living." Eric shakes his hand.

"Thanks Four. So what have you guys been up too?"

I decide to take the lead on this question. "Today we are working on my kicks and I have also been working on my blocking and speed." I announce proudly. I see Tobias smile softly.

"Well princess, how about a quick round to see how good you are?"

I look at Tobias, he is rubbing the back of his neck a quirk I have learned to understand as that he is nervous. I don't really want to go up against Eric, he is the second best fighter and the leader of the guard, but I am in Dauntless now and they don't back down from a challenge so neither will I.

"Sure, let's see what you got." I try to sound confident but based on the smirk on Eric's face I doubt I truly do.

"Perfect, and don't worry I will go easy on you."

Eric walks to the ring and effortlessly removes his shirt and starts stretching his muscles to warm up. I am pretty sure I blushed a bit. I am not attracted to Eric, but I can appreciate a good body, besides the only guy I have even seen shirtless other than my brother is Tobias and I am just not used to the idea of people being so free yet. I compose myself fast enough I doubt anyone noticed and head to the ring with Tobias behind me.

"Don't do me any favors Eric." I smirk and enter the ring getting into position.

With that Eric lunges at me, I just barely side step out of the way and bring my elbow to his side. I see Eric take a small step to his right before spinning around and grabbing my arm as he continues to twist, I am dragged behind him. I lean into him enough that my arm bends at the right angle forcing him to drop his hold. I back away as I grab my arm before putting my hands back up in defense. We circle each other for a few seconds.

"Not bad princess, let's see what else you got."

Eric doesn't sound like Zeke did, he sounds like he truly wants to see me succeed though we both know I am not going to win this fight, it was a miracle I won against Zeke, a flaw in the system if you will. Concentrate Tris, I mentally scold myself. I shake my head clear.

I start to look for any weaknesses that Eric may have. I know he was recently injured but his arms guard those areas perfectly so I can't use that against him. He is strong and fast, but I know I am faster due to my size I can use that to my advantage. Then I see it for a millisecond as Eric took a step forward his leg gave out a slight shake, he is still uneasy on that side. He goes for an uppercut to my ribs, I manage to block him but the force of his fist sends a shock-wave of pain through my arm. He is definitely using more force than Zeke did. I take a quick step inside and bring my knee to his chest, I am to close for him to block it and when I connect he hunches over slightly trying to regain his breath. While he is distracted I whip my leg around connecting a roundhouse kick with the back of his knee on his weaker side. Eric goes down with a loud thud. He looks up at me with a shocked expression.

"Good move princess, I didn't know you liked to play dirty."

He quickly recovers and runs at me, I try to dodge him but he grabs a hold of my arm as I try to move, he forces me down to the ground and jumps on me. He as both my hands in a vice grip but he forgot my legs, most likely due to my size. I bring a knee up with as much force I can muster and hit Eric where I hit Zeke. I hear a sound that I can't even describe, not as bad as Zeke's was but not what I expected Eric to be able to make. He rolls off to the side as I get back to my feet. I go to kick Eric in the ribs I only manage to land one blow before Eric grabs a hold of my ankle and pulls my other leg out from under me. I land on my back, trying to roll my body away from him but I just can't manage to get my ankle free from his grasp. I try to kick him off me with my free foot, but he just pulls me closer to him making my leg unusable unable to get any force behind it. I lean up off the floor and grab at his wrist, trying to free myself. It seems hopeless, but I slightly remember something Caleb once told me and begin to pinch the flesh between Eric's thumb and pointer finger with all my ability even digging my nails into his flesh till he releases my ankle with a loud groan. Eric flips himself up off the ground landing smoothly on his feet. I see him rubbing his hand looking at me with some expression, maybe awe. I try not to waste any time and with as much speed as I can get I lunge at him he grabs my fist and turns me so my back is against his bare sweaty chest and brings his free arm around my neck squeezing slightly, not enough to hurt just enough to constrict my breathing somewhat. When I realize I can't escape this hold I tap his arm signaling the end of the match with my concession.