Chapter 6

Searching for quests among the guild's list was a pain. Akasuki had already scrolled through twenty "kill this certain amount of monsters" quests and she already had enough with those. It was bound for the boring grinding phase to kick in.

The dark haired solider was close to leveling up to her desired Knight class, but lacked the motivation to go through another to do so. She thought about just logging off for today and just going to sleep.

"Good evening!" Hachiman greeted with a bright smile. Akasuki didn't respond. "Ah, bored, huh? Well, I'm not really good at boasting someone's mood, but I'll try anyway! Did you know I have a son?! He just turned thirteen a month ago!"

"I have a hard time believing that."

"What? The fact I'm a father?"

"No, the fact that you're married."

"Oh no, I'm not married! I mean, I used to be, but..."

Akasuki frowned. "I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean to..."

"No, no, no! It was a short time marriage is all! She's still alive!"

"I still shouldn't assume like that. I don't want to trample on any bad memories."

The large solider chuckled. "Ah, don't you worry about me! There's plenty of fish in the sea!"

"That's not what I... nevermind." Despite feeling a bit angry at him, Akasuki couldn't help but smile a bit. "Say, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"How does it feel like to be a parent?"

Hachiman was a bit taken aback. He took a moment to think about his words. "W-Well, there's a lot of responsibility... and you gotta find a job to support your family... and um... I guess from a man's point of view, it feels like reality hits you with a semi truck and you gotta keep on walking after that."

The dark haired solider thought about his words to herself. It was a bit comforting hearing that from him after talking to her mother earlier today.

"Um... I don't mind to pray into your business, but please tell me that you and Euno aren't thinking about..."

"What?! Why the hell would you think that?!" Akasuki's face turned red. "Geez, just when I thought you weren't all in the gutter."

A sudden roar of laughter caught their attention. The two soldiers gazed over to the source, looking at a party of solider class players around a tall Knight class man. He wore shining silver armor and a scar across his right cheek.

"How annoying." Akasuki muttered, standing to leave the guild. Hachiman followed after her.

Once outside, they were greeted by Euno and Moriko.

"Five hundred gold and forty rat skins later," the brown mage smiled, carrying a rat shaped staff, "And I've got a new staff."

"Rat skin?" Akasuki questioned. "They really ran out of ideas, huh?"

"Do not underestimate the power of the Rat staff," Moriko said. "Higher status aliments are quite powerful."

"Indeed," Euno nodded, "So, did you mine those rocks into a new weapon?"

"Oh, um..." the dark haired solider looked away.

"Let me guess," the beast tamer sighed, "You just upgraded your sword, didn't you?"

"Hey, I can add dark gems later on. I don't really need a new weapon."

"You're hindering your Strength stat and Magic skills by keeping that sword." Euno said. "It's not worth the hassle grinding such a beginner's weapon when buying a new one and upgrading that will yield into better result in a shorter time span."