"Listen, Ari. I need to talk to you about something," he said, his tone suddenly very serious. He was beginning to get me worried.

"Okay... shoot."

"I'll be coming home in a few weeks," he said. I felt so elated and relieved right at that moment. My big brother was finally coming home! Previously, it felt like this day would never come and I'd never hear him say those words. But now it was all different. I could hardly wait.

"But," he continued, making some of that happiness wash away, "it won't be for long."

"Drew, I don't care! We all just want to see you," I smiled even though he couldn't see me.

Hearing my gleeful voice, my parents came rushing towards me asking what Drew had said. He obviously hadn't told them yet. "Drew is coming home soon!" I exclaimed, keeping the phone pressed against my ear. Seeing the excited look on my parents' face made me happier and I completely forgot about the problems between me and Mum. They tried to take the phone off me so I ran across the room and jumped on to the sofa so that it was out of their reach.

During this time Drew kept telling me to listen to him and I could sense he was running out of patience because of the change in his tone.

"Arissa, listen to me God dammit!" he yelled.

"Okay, sorry! Mum and Dad were trying to take the phone!" I explained loudly. I heard him sigh on the other end.

"I'm getting deployed to Afghanistan."

At that moment my face dropped. All the excitement vanished and I felt nothing but worried and afraid.

"What?" I choked on my own breath.

"Yeah, that's what I've been wanting to say. I'll be coming in a few weeks to see you all and then-"

"How long for?" I cut him off, nervously waiting for a response since I was afraid of what the answer might be.

"Six months, possibly a month or so more." I could sense the seriousness in his voice, he was really going. Going to Afghanistan.

"Oh."

I passed the phone to my Mum and raced upstairs, not wanting to talk to anyone. I leapt onto my bed and buried my face into the pillow, drowning myself in thoughts.

My brother Drew was 24 years old. He had joined the British Army just before he turned 23 and had been in training. I knew he'd be deployed one day but I just kept avoiding thinking about it, until now. Now it really hit me. I wasn't necessarily upset that he was going, I was scared.

Scared for him, for his life.

Even though I knew he was a great soldier, I couldn't help but create all these nasty scenarios in my head or keep negative thoughts away.

I wasn't a very optimistic person.

I wanted to stop him from going because I couldn't stand the thought of losing my brother. He had always taken my side whether I was right or wrong, and he always stood up to Mum and Dad if they decided to start ranting at me. He was really protective of me since I was bullied when I was younger and despite having our arguments like all siblings do, we were exremely close. You could say he was my best friend as well as my brother, along with Heidi of course.

Just as her name clouded my brain, I heard a knock on my bedroom door so I sat upright. "Mum, Dad. Go away," I said, knowing they'd be here to comfort me. I didn't need it, nothing they would have to say could make me feel any better or relieved.

Despite what I had said, the door still creaked open and a shadow was cast on the floor. I looked towards the door to see Tyler stood with arms crossed, leaning against the door frame.