He knew that she was a woman of untold depth of character, he had been fortunate in being able to remove her from the grasp of the males in the tribe. Balthazar was entirely too aware of the fact that he himself did not deserve someone as pure as Sadie, but he couldn't find the strength to deny his rapidly growing infatuation. He wanted to keep the female in his home and his space as long as possible. She was entirely too precious and delicate to be allowed to fall in the hands of untrustworthy males.

"Chieftain?" Sadie's voice washed over him, yanking him from his thoughts.

"Yeah?" He asked distractedly.

"What is going on, Chieftain?"

"Call me Balthazar." He asked. "Going on with what?"

"My being here instead of with the other hostages, what do you intend to do with me?"

"I intend to do nothing with you." Perhaps if he denied it enough, it might become true. "You have been given a job in the community, since you wish to work. Other than that, you are required to do nothing."

"A job cannot mean that I am to be kept in the house away from all humanity?"

"I have made you aware of how this community is dangerous to a female such as yourself. If you were claimed, it might have made things easier."Balthazar would have to kill the male before he let him anywhere near Sadie. He couldn't stifle the urge that rose within him to claim her, he didn't have her trust yet, and he didn't know if he'd ever be able to win it. It was all he could hope for.

"I understand that you want to protect me from the dangers shifter males present, but you could always just order them not to bother me, like the Alpha used to do in the pack. You are the Chieftain, they have no choice but to listen to you."

"That is where you're wrong." He let out a low chuckle. "I do not possess the power to order someone to do something against their will. The purpose of the leading figure, like a Chieftain or Alpha is to safeguard the weaker members. That gives them no right to control another's life and dictate the choices of another." Balthazar needed for her to understand. "So no, I don't accept the way the packs are run in the lowlands, I can and will not misuse the power given to me by the people. I am more of a figurehead ruler. Sure I make decisions, but I do not in any way dictate how another should live their life. I have my own job and my own life to take care of. I am here merely to guard and help the members of my tribe, if and when they ask for my help."

"So you do not use your Alpha male status to control the pack? Isn't that more efficient in terms of pack control?"

"An Alpha is a purely canine creation. The blind devotion and unquestionable following of orders is an entirely canine need. All that distinguishes an Alpha from another male is physical and at times mental strength."

"Then why are you the chieftain? If this is a canine need, why would a tribe need you?" By now Sadie looked thoroughly engrossed and had perched on the edge of a stool, face rapt with interest as she gave Balthazar her full attention.

"I was voted chieftain." He basked in the attention he got from her, wanting to keep himself the sole focus of her attention for as long as possible. "I have no interest in ruling. That was the deal; I would protect them when needed. Nothing more and nothing less."

"That can't be possible. Why would they come to you with such a deal?"

"I am the strongest shifter in the mountains. They wanted protection." He had never revealed his personal opinion to anyone other than Blue, it felt oddly relieving to be able to share it with someone who so obviously wanted to know his side of the story. "Blue was the one to persuade me to take up the position, and she came up with the terms of the contract between us."