Chapter 24

Lauren's POV

I wake up (at what I'm guessing is) the next morning. Next to me lays the little body of Lila holding onto my shirt with her tiny hands. I grab her close to me and pick her up. I don't want to wake her up by moving away from her. Trying to navigate my way through the room I feel the thin string that turns on the light bulb hit my face. Shifting Lila's little body so I'm holding her with one hand, I grab the string and pull it so there is some light for me to see. When I look down I see the dry tear streaks on the little girl's cheeks. This, saddened me knowing that this child no longer has the person that has been there for her her entire life and that person fought to save her daughter. Although I didn't know her mother for that long of a time, I could tell that she was beautiful inside and had so much to live for. She had just been at the wrong place at the wrong time. She just wanted to help me and cheer me up but instead it got her killed, and that honestly pisses me off. She was murdered for being kind. What kind of world has this become? Everyday on the news there was a different killing of an innocent bystander that had so much potential and a bright future. All we'll be left with in the future is a world with these types of bastards that kidnap kind, loving people and then use them for their own advantage before killing them. This is a child for God's sake. And look at her, lying in my arms crying herself to sleep knowing that her mother is gone forever. She has no one left. Her father is a perverted asshole that got killed by the same lunatic that killed her mother. She knows nothing but this place. She's never been outside and I find that angering. She only knows the four, dirty, plain walls around her, the filthy mattress she sleeps on, the light bulb that lets her see, the stench of alcohol and drugs, and the pests that infest the rooms. This child should be out in parks, playing with other kids, she should have a room of her own with a proper bed and furniture. She should have more clothes than an over-sized tee-shirt that acts as a dress and an underwear made of torn up clothes. God, this is not a life that she should be living. What the hell is wrong with these people?

I sit down on the mattress, leaning my back against the wall, watching Lila sleep peacefully. She's so beautiful. Some of her light brown hair is in her face and there is some drool at the edge of her mouth. This, makes me smile. I can't help but tear up looking down at this beautiful child. Looking at her tiny, little, malnourished body makes me finally let the tears flow freely. I'm going to protect this child with my life. She deserves so much better. All these bruises on her, from the abuse, will not come her way again. Her little face should be covered in kisses not bruises. I promised her mother I'd care for her and I am determined to keep it.

"Wh-what happened?" 

I jump slightly at the shaky voice coming from the door. I look up to see a little girl, around nine, standing in the doorway. 

"Where's Lena?" She says a bit louder, I can hear how scared she is.

"Um, last night Lloyd...I'm sorry." I can't bring myself to say much but that. She takes in a sharp breath, her eyes begin to brim with tears. "She's gone?" The girl asks in denial. I look down at Lila and nod, not being able to look her in the eyes.

"I-I heard th-the gunshot l-last night b-but I was scared to come out and see what h-had happened." She begins to sob softly. I gesture for her to come sit next to me. She, with some hesitance comes over and sits as far away from me on the mattress as possible. "Hey, hey, sweetie, it's going to be okay. I'm scared too. I promised Lena I'd take care of Lila. Lena died peacefully. It was slow but she got to hold Lila as she passed and that kept her at peace. Everything will be okay. Come here, I promise I won't hurt you." I say to her gently. I thought she wouldn't agree but, surprisingly, she scooted over and moved right next to where I was. "What's your name? Mine is Lauren." I ask.

"Danielle. But Lena and Lila always called me Dani." She replies sniffling softly, wiping away the stray tears on her cheeks.

"Well Dani, it is very nice to meet you. How long have you been here?"