Chapter 22

Camila's POV

We've been following the stops where the bus stops and have even contacted the bus driver. He's making sure to keep an eyes on her. We told him our situation and he said that he thinks it's best if we approach her after the trip when the bus finally stops in Maine. We agreed because we know how Lauren would react. So we have just been planning how we'll approach her. 

Until then we just follow the bus and take turns driving. We watch Lauren everyday to make sure she's okay. I don't feel okay about just letting her roam around alone while she's in the condition she's in. I just want to run out of the car, grab her, and give her a huge hug and tell her she is strong and she can make it through this. I want to get her help but that is what drove her away from us in the first place. 

Once we reached Ohio in the morning Mike wakes us up to let us know. We grab our bags that we brought and head to the bathroom inside a supermarket that's a couple blocks away from the bus station that Lauren's bus is at. Us girls change into clean clothing, brush our teeth and our faces, empty our bladders and then head off back out into the actual supermarket itself, not its bathroom.

Mike is standing outside the bathroom already changed and ready to go. We grab a couple of water bottles, pre-made sandwiches from the deli, and some more essentials. Once we pay for our stuff we go back out into the car and drive the couple blocks away to where the bus should be. We park in the parking lot of the souvenir store across the street from the station. We all settle in our seats quietly. This has become something normal. We all stay quiet as we watch Lauren and talk to the bus driver. He always gets off the bus 10 minutes after everyone has already left. He comes over to us and lets us know how Lauren is. He never really talks to her but there are cameras on the bus and he makes sure to check up on her every now and then from the screens. We see the bus driver get off the bus and cross the street to come over to our car. Mike lowers his window and the bus driver leans on the car door updating us on Lauren.

"Last night she didn't really sleep. At around 2 a.m. I decided to look at the cameras surveillance live feed for a moment and saw her just sitting there with a flashlight on her book. All she does at night now is read. I don't really see her sleep at all. She still has not eaten. She only thing she consumes is beverages like coffee and water. And I don't know if this is relevant, but I think she's running out of pills because last night she took the pills she had then shook the bottle and then frowned. Right now, I think she's in the souvenir shop so be careful with revealing yourselves. That's pretty much. I'll keep you guys updated. I gotta go refill the gas in the bus, we'll be in Maryland by tonight so if you guys want to drive on ahead I won't mind keeping an eye on her. See you guys later." The bus driver concluded. We thanked him and then he headed back to the bus and drove off to the gas station further down the road.

The door of the souvenir shop opens to reveal a very tired looking Lauren in an over-sized sweater and leggings that clearly showed her tiny legs with a huge thigh gap. She had her hair down with a beanie on her head. She was looking down at her phone, frowning. She always seems to do this. Once she cleans up in the morning, she comes out of the store looking down at her phone and scrolling. I'm pretty sure she's reading our messages that we send her everyday. At least I know she reads them, though. 

We all slump down in our seats to avoid being seen until Lauren walks down the sidewalk. She takes out her camera and begins taking pictures.

Even now, all I see is beauty. I don't care how broken she is, I love how lately she's just seems so calm and content with everything. I see it in her face when she's taking pictures on that camera of hers. And when she sits down to read to wait for the bus to take off. She's been happy in solitude with herself. But I still see all the damage there is to her. And all I want to do is put her back together and make sure she won't break again. But I can't. And that's the sad thing.

A couple hours later

We have finally arrived in Maryland. Everyone in the car has to pee so we stop by a nearby pharmacy that is close to the bus station. We took off an hour before the bus so we're here earlier than the bus. But since we made several long stops at gas stations (Ally's stomach's fault and the car's fault as well), now the bus should be arriving in like 10 minutes. We all run inside to the bathrooms to empty our small bladders before we all go back out to meet Mike. We grab some essentials from the pharmacy. As we walk together throughout the pharmacy I spot a familiar dark haired girl walking into the pharmacy. Lauren.

"Shit. Guys, she's in here. Shut up." I say quickly. They all quiet down and crouch down making sure that they go unseen.

Lauren walks to the medicine section, grabs a bottle of pills and then goes to the coolers by the checkout counter and grabs a water bottle before paying for everything and exiting quickly. She was really quick. She came and went just like that.

"Guys I'm gonna go outside and follow her to make sure she makes it back to the bus area safely. It's too dark out for her to be in this part of town. Especially with that of whats going on with the women being kidnapped. I'll call you when she's made it back safely so that you can come get me." I say quickly. They nod and I take off running to the exit so that I don't lose her. 

Once I step outside I see her walking quickly through the parking lot. I'm about to start following her but then I'm stopped in my tracks when I hear tires screeching and see a car speeding towards Lauren. Behind her I see a dark figure approaching her. I'm frozen on the spot as I watch the scene unfold. Two men get out of the car and then they start to grab her before putting a cloth over her mouth and nose. She passes out and they drag her on the ground and then throw her into the trunk of the car. I'm finally able to move as adrenaline fills my every vein and I run towards the car screaming, "LET HER GO! LET HER GO YOU BASTARDS! I SAW YOU! LET HER GO GOD DAMN IT!" The men see me approaching them and hurry to get into the car. I reach the car and start pounding on the windows. Suddenly, the darkly tinted window lowers and the man behind the wheel is holding a gun, pointing it at me. "She's a run away. No one will ever know she's been taken, not even the police because you are not going to say anything." He says in a mocking tone. I look him straight in the eyes and say, "I'll find her." Before he pulls the trigger and everything suddenly slows down as I fall to the ground and the car speeds off. I look down to see blood gushing out of my chest, that's the last thing I see before the pain disappears and everything goes black.

I love you Lauren