Chapter15 Cracks Of Torment, Filled Up By The Goody. Just Budding Friendship Or?

Start from the beginning

I took Ashley's iphone in my hand and just fiddled with it, scrolling down her playlists as she still stared at her double scoop icecream. I remembered that she was listening to a song when she was crying an hour ago, my eyes instantly flew to the 'Currently Playing' section on her phone. It would be an understatement if I said that my heart sank to the bottom and the most darkest part of my stomach. It was 'Perfect' by Pink. I'm perfectly aware of the song and each and every lyric of it even if I don't listen to Pink. No reason for that though.

I never imagined the ever strong and b*tchy girl everyone saw was so broken from inside. I looked up at her and saw that she was looking at the cup of her icecream with a small smile on her face. "You didn't need to do this." she murmured. "Its all I can do to make you smile again. An extra scoop won't harm right? Are you worried about your calories?" I teased and she shook her head from side to side, unable to fight the smile on her face. "Where's the cocky Ms.Attitude we all know so well huh?" I joked, digging my plastic spoon into the sweet treat. "Do you want me to be a b*tch to you again?" she cocked an eyebrow and I put my hands up in defense. "Its just that, I've never seen you like this before." I blurted out, even before I could stop myself.

Jacob, you are so stupid.

Ashley stiffened in her seat and looked down on her lap. "Hey, I didn't mean...I just..." I fumbled to find the right words. Oh man! After so many efforts of lightening up the mood, I had made it worse. Great going Jacob.

"Its okay. But you have to promise me that you won't tell this to ANYONE." she warned sternly. I pressed my lips together and ran my index finger and thumb over them. Indicating that my mouth was shut with a zip-lock. "Good." she grinned. "I'll pay you later okay? I didn't bring my purse." she said. "Its on me." I smiled and she smirked "So, is this a date Mr.Goody?" her smirk widened as I felt red creep up my neck. "Um..no..actually.." she started laughing as I felt myself getting redder and redder. "Aw..you're so sweet Jacob. I was just pulling your leg." she grinned. "Don't ever call me sweet." I grumbled.

"But you are." she said in a teasing tone and began licking her plastic spoon covered with chocolate. "Lets raise a toast." I said and she looked up at me with a surpised expression."To what?" I raised my cup of icecream "Cheers to new friendship." and she bumped her cup of icecream with mine and started laughing. "You are so weird." she chuckled and I grinned, rubbing the back of my neck "Thanks." that led her giggling all over again. "Why is that girl looking at me like I'm a serial killer?" she asked, and I instantly looked at the girl standing behind the glass counter. When she saw me looking at her, she immediately looked somewhere else and walked into the room which had 'STAFF' written on it. I chuckled as the blondie hit her head with the door pane in a hurry. "I don't know." I shrugged my shoulder, faking innocence as I continued laughing for another minute while Ashley gave me a weird expression. That counter-girl is going to be terrified for the rest of the day, I thought as I stuffed melted icecream into my mouth.

"Thanks." Ashley's voice was soft and low but it was enough to stop my guffaws."You don't need to-" she cut me off. "No. I mean, thanks for EVERYTHING Jacob" I nodded

"Anytime. Just know one thing Ashley, whatever you are, whoever you are, you're PERFECT."

I held her hand with my right one from across the table, the urge to hug her and comfort the vulnerable-Ashley was very strong but I resisted it. I just held her hand, ignoring the electricity flowing through my viens. I left her hand after a minute and went back to my icecream.

She looked at me with wide eyes when I said that she was perfect. Probably she didn't notice that I saw the song she was listening to. One thing is for sure, THAT was the thing she needed to hear after a terrible day. For another few minutes, we just sat there in silence eating peacefully and enjoying the icecream.