Chapter Thirteen

"I'm sorry."

Wait, what? Dave was apologizing?

"I'm sorry you're such a horrible friend! I trusted you, John, and you went and meddled in something you had no business in. That whole thing was a mistake- a disgusting mistake. I'm not like that. Not like that at all."

"Dave, you know it's okay-"

"No! It's not okay! It was an abomination. Guys are supposed to be with girls. That's just... fact. Now you know, John. Now you know how horrible I am."

"You're not horrible." He said, attempting to reassure his friend. But Dave didn't hear him.

"You messed it all up, John. You ruined it. And I've just lost my best friend." He stood up, body shaking with fear. Jade ran over to him, her eyes wide with concern.

Dave pushed her away and walked toward the door. As it slammed, John felt his heart plummet to the ground. It seemed like he really had ruined everything.

Jade stared at him, tears blooming. "John- I'm sorry-"

He shook his head. "You don't need to be sorry. It's my fault. Dave was right."

"No!" she gasped in horror. "No, not at all-"

John waved off her words. "I'm just gonna go home. Thanks, guys." He walked out the same door Dave had left through, misery wrapping around his heart. When he went home, the house was empty. Thank God his dad wasn't here to ask him what was wrong.

He collapsed on his bed, determined never to leave. Sure, his computer was blowing up with frantic messages, but he honestly didn't care. John just wanted to curl up in his blankets and die.

AG: john!!!!!!!!! ::::(

AG: john, its vriska. please talk to me.

Fine. He guessed she at least deserved a message to know he wasn't dead.

EB: just leave me alone to die.

AG: it'll 8e okay with dave. think a8out what karkat is going to do. that will help.

EB: i'm not going to the meeting and hearing about how i'm an abomination

AG: its tomorrow! you have to go!

He turned away and rolled over, burying his face in the pillow to stifle his tears. The thought of just leaving his house, talking to a group of people about the secrets he'd buried for so long... terrified him. Why did he agree to such a stupid idea?

Well... because he expected Dave to falli nto his arms dramatically. Like that would happen.

CG: JOHN YOU STUPID MOPING F-WAD GET YOUR -SS ON TO YOUR LAPTOP

God, he did not need Karkat right now. Then again, you can't really ignore something like that.

EB: what do you want?

CG: I WANT YOU TO PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ANUS AND GET READY TO TELL DAVE HOW MUCH YOU LIKE C-CK

EB: jesus, man. i'm not doing your dumb plan anymore.

CG: DO YOU WANT DAVE TO LIKE YOU OR NOT

EB: that doesn't seem possible anymore

CG: JOHN YOU MISERABLE C-MSUCKING IDIOT THIS IS HOW YOURE GONNA FIX THE SACK OF BS YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO

EB: karkat...

CG: PLEASE

Maybe... maybe he was right.

Maybe this was the only way to fix things with Dave.

But, right now, John didn't care about that. All he cared about was trying to forget all the terrible stuff that had happened. The shit hit the fan in the span of a few days.

John was just... exhausted.

When he went to sleep, John slipped away into blissful dreamlessness. He was woken up later by what sounded like his computer screaming at him.

CG: JOHN WAKE UP YOU S-T GARGLING F-K

CG: THE MEETING IS IN AN HOUR AND IM COMING TO YOUR HOUSE

CG: IM IN YOUR ROOM

"Karkat!!"

"Hey John, get your -ss ready. My car is in the driveway, I think Terezi and Gamzee are having sex as we speak, and if you don't want to come Nepeta might kill you."

"I wouldn't do that!" Nepeta cried, clutching her hat in her hands. "I like John. He's cool."

"Thanks." he said with a faint smile. "Uh, Karkat- can you leave so I can get dressed? Because I'll go to the meeting, but I should probably change."

He threw back his head, groaning. "Just hurry up. We'll be waiting in the car."

Now, John did want to change (his clothes smelled like sweat and Axe body spray) but mostly he just wanted Karkat gone so he could check his messages.

Oh... god...

TT: John what have you done now...

GG: dave is in his room crying and he won't let me in!!

AG: i hope you're going to that meeting or i'll kill you myself!

CG: YOU S-TLICKING IDIOT

AC: :33 < john karkitty is getting really mad at you...

GA: Well This Is A Delightful Mess

Everyone was so mad at him. He just hoped so badly that this would fix it. That Dave would be willing to forgive him.

That everyone would forgive him.

Karkat banged on his door, making him jump. "Hurry!! Kanaya told me Rose is there and Jade says she's leaving now!"

They ran to the car, where Terezi was sitting in the driver's seat with Gamzee draped across her.

"FLOOR IT, TEZ!" Karkat screamed.

She raced off in a cloud of smoke, leaving John worrying that this is what would fix things.

He had to fix things. No matter what it took.

He needed his best friend back.