Chapter Ten

John looked up, not quite listening to everyone else's voices, as another person walked towards the table. Her black hair curled around her face in short waves and it seemed as though those jade-green eyes stared through his soul.

This must be Kanaya.

When she reached them, her voice was cool and filled with collected grace. "So, I suppose this is how we're going to fix everything John messed up."

"Hey, it's not my fault Dave-"

She cut him off with a wave of her hand. Cloaked in a green dress that matched her eyes perfectly, Kanaya radiated power from every pore. John decided it would be best not to argue with her.

"Karkat told me I need to convince Rose to go a meeting for LGBT+ kids. I figured I would tell her we're going to have a double date- there's really no point to bringing Jade along, but for all I know she has some secrets buried too."

"Sounds alright." said Karkat calmly. "I wish Jade would choke to death on Dave's dick, but it's alright."

"Why do you hate her so much anyways?" asked John shyly. "She's a really nice person."

"Exactly! She's so nice! She stole Dave from me with her stupid kindness! Crap-gobbling b-ch with her dumbass glasses took away my boyfriend and made him think he was straight." fumed Karkat.

"But Karkat, she didn't."

"Bs she didn't."

"Dave dated her to try and make himself straight. He also dated her because he liked her- and he does- but when he had to chose between a girl and a guy he liked it was easier to pick the girl. That way he could keep... fooling himself."

Kanaya nodded calmly, seemingly agreeing with John. "The boy does have a point. I can see the clear benefits from Dave being in a heterosexual relationship."

Terezi leaned away from the table and groaned loudly. "Stop being so sentimental. All these feelings make me want to puke. Can we just hurry up and get the idiots to the dumb meeting?"

"Don't be such a pessimist, Tez." said Nepeta quietly in her soft kitten voice. "Who knows, maybe the meeting will help you."

Behind her glasses, Terezi's eyes flared with rage.

"I don't need any help! I'm perfectly fine with my feelings being the way they are."

"You weren't perfectly fine when Vriska left you for Tavros..." grumbled Karkat, clearly tiring of Terezi's rage.

"My feelings about Vriska are my business and mine alone! Jesus, I know we're all close, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to flip their s-t when I get dumped."

"Besides," she growled, folding her arms over her chest. "I'm dating Gamzee now."

John- utterly clueless on what was going on- quietly excused himself as Karkat's eyes bugged out of his head. A chorus of angry words erupted from the table as everyone went out at each other's throats.

While John just walked home, mulling over everything he'd heard. Since Kanaya was going to take Rose (as friends, probably, because the last thing she wanted was her cover blown), it was up to him to maybe convince Jade to go with Dave.

Then again, he didn't want to talk to Jade. Even if he defended her in front of Karkat, he was nursing some anger too. All his friends- his best friends, his only friends- had been hiding things from him. And it stung him deeply now that no one was there to distract him.

No, it seems he couldn't go home now. He couldn't watch bad movies and ignore his laptop. John needed to sit somewhere to clear his head. Somewhere... alone.

The movie theater was showing "Ghost Rider 2", so naturally it was completely empty. John stretched out delightfully on the seats and prepared to lose himself in the terribleness of it all (to him, it was a masterpiece)... when someone's head popped over and stunned him out of blissful quiet.

Long blonde hair spilled into his face and cerulean eyes gleamed at him. A mouth rimmed in Coral Blue #5 lipstick spoke loudly and broke the peace.

"Hey! Trying to get away from the others, huh? I don't blame you- they're all crazy."

"Um... who are you again? Are you another one of them?"

"Didn't Karkitty tell you there were twelve of us? I'm hoping you can meet us all in one huge clusterf-k of craziness."

"I think that might actually kill me. And- uh- which one are you?"

"I'm Vriska!"

"Terezi's ex?"

She made a sour face at the mention of her. "Ugh, yeah. I dumped her for a guy named Tavros. Sometimes you just need someone you can mess with, and Terezi was too clever for me to do that. She'll get over it though. Tez is tough."

"Can I ask a question?" God, he was always asking these weirdos questions.

"Sure."

"What the fuck are you doing here?"

"Well, isn't it obvious?" Vriska said with a blue-lipped grin. "I came here to see you!"

S-t.