Chapter Twelve

"Why would you want to do that?" he puzzled. "You barely know me."

"Yeah, but I like you. You're ...cool."

"Vriska, are you flirting with me?" asked John in an amused tone. "Because you know I don't swing that way."

She winked at him a sea-colored eye, but followed that up with, "Trust me, I'm not interested. Tavros is the only one for me. Even if he is a total wuss..."

"Sounds like he isn't all that great."

"Oh, don't try and be my therapist! God, I don't need that s-t. I'm happy with things the way they are. But you sure as -it aren't- and because of my incredibly kind nature- I would like to help."

"Help by messing with Terezi, I presume." said John coolly. He was losing his patience with her by the moment. Sure, at first she was cool! sassy! exciting! but now Vriska just seemed mean. And John detested meanness.

"Listen, I still have something else planned. Do you wanna come with me? I promise it doesn't involve any pranks."

"Uh... what is it?" asked John cautiously. He hoped no bodies and/or weapons were involved in Vriska's idea of fun.

"Well, you wanna go out and get ice cream?" Was that a blush coloring her cheeks?! Maybe she really was into him (which sucked pretty hard for her). But, he figured, ice cream seemed to be a harmless activity. It'd probably be fun!

"Sure. I'd love to." He smiled warmly at her. "At Grater's? It's walking distance."

"Yeah." she said, surprisingly quiet in contrast to her earlier brashness and confidence. "That'd be awesome."

A short walk away, he found himself shivering inside the chilly room and waiting at a long line. Vriska stood next to him, her blue mouth set in a flat line. "John-" she whispered. "John, it looks like Dave is here."

His eyes widened in panic as John's head whipped around. Sure enough, sitting at a table in the corner, was the infamous Dave Strider. And who was with him but Jade Harley.

Dave's back was to him, but John knew that blonde hair all the same. He'd thought about running his hands through it so much- oh god, Jade saw him.

"John?" she mouthed, green eyes huge behind her glasses. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm getting ice cream! What's it look like?" he mimed back. But then Dave turned around and John had to immediately play it cool.

No pun intended.

He silently prayed as he made his order that Dave wouldn't recognize him. He felt those red eyes burning into his back, full of curiosity, but then his gaze shifted back to Jade and John let out a sigh of relief. He was safe.

Until they had to sit down, only a few tables away from his friend/ex-friend. Vriska smiled shyly at him and whispered in his ear, "I'm sorry, John. Can we still have fun?"

"Yeah! Don't worry about it. You had no way of knowing."

He reached across the table and grabbed one of her hands, cool to the touch. "It's okay." She smiled back at him with a warmth he hadn't seen before. Who knows? Maybe John brought out her good side.

It was kind of a shame he was so gay. Vriska was pretty- blonde, blue eyed, with an edge to her beauty. There was just something about her that showed she had a true kick to her.

It was so awesome.