Valerie nods slowly, not really getting where he's going with this. "Yes? I'm here for a job working as a paid assistant. Remember? I can assure you Mr.Giovanni I am over qualified for the job. As you can see I have a bachelor's degree in—"

Luca shook his head, stopping her mid sentence. He steps a bit closer to her and Valerie's heart gets a bit closer to stopping.

"I have a different job for you. Something a little higher up."  

Oh, I knew bullshitting on my resumé would do me some good!

She felt like jumping for joy! Any higher pay and Valerie could finally move out of the Bronx and hopefully closer to the city. Honestly more money would solve all of her problems and maybe even some of Nicki's.

"Thank you, sir! What would the job entail?" Valerie excitedly inquires, barely containing the restrained jubilant emotions she's feeling. She was now sitting up straight, holding onto the seat's arm rests to contain herself.

Luca however had not changed from his stone faced expression. He leaned back against his desk as he continued to watch Valerie's reactions closely.

"You," Luca begins,"marry me."

Silence took over the room. 

Even the bubbling emotions of happiness stopped inside of Valerie. It was almost as if white noise had taken control of the situation because all she could do was sit there as still as a windmill on a windless day.

Then, the absurdness of the statement overtook her, and took her out.

She bursted into a fit of giggles, that turned into a series of loud guffaws. This very respected millionaire, maybe even billionaire did not just ask her to fucking marry him

Never in my wildest fucking dreams.

The simple thought repeated in her head restarted the laughter. Valerie's sides ached from the deep humor, and the slight sting of her eyes made her realize she was actually crying laughing.

Luca hadn't budged at all, her laughing actually just made his face harden more. His jaw quickly ticking.

"Excuse my language, Mr.Giovanni," Valerie began, wiping at her eyes and trying her best to sober up, "You have got to be fucking shitting me."

Luca winced at her cursing,"Watch your mouth." 

Valerie almost starts up with the laughter again. A snort escaping, but she quickly slaps a hand over her mouth. 

He's got the wrong one if he thinks he can tell me what to do. Like he's my damn dad.

Seeing that the professional nature of the meeting was definitely thrown out of the window since he asked her such an absurdly personal thing. He didn't even ask.

Stated, the absurdly personal thing.

She took the give in seriousness to speak freely.

"I think I can speak as I very well please. Thank you. Also, I must graciously decline your literal proposal." Valerie told him flatly. She stood up from her seat, smoothing out her clothes before walking up to his desk to grab her resumé. Luca blocks her hand with his body, making her hand skate down his hard chest.