bonus chapter 02

Valerie had been running around the house all day setting up for what would be her and Luca's second marriage anniversary dinner.

She worked remotely usually when it came to how she completed her duties at S&G Corp. Luca was none-the-wiser of why today she chose to push all of her meetings for today to next week. He was still his father's son and liked to make his morning commute to the headquarters office.

On a typical day, Valerie would've met Luca for lunch at their favorite coffee kiosk near the office building and then they'd do a brisk walk together downtown for 30 minutes. This was their scheduled couple time during the day. No kids, no work calls, and no late night fatigue to make one feel like the other wasn't listening to them.

Not to be too sappy, but it truly was Valerie's favorite time of the day.

And Luca didn't even bat an eye when she texted him that she wouldn't be able to make it today!

The thought crossing her mind again made Valerie's brow furrow as she drove to her parents's house with her twins Erik and Camille in the back of her car. Glancing at them in the rearview mirror, her anger dissipated just a small bit.

They were so beautiful. The redness of their cheeks against the terracotta clay color of their skin would always have her in awe. They were perfect.

As she was admiring them, her daughter Camille grunted and let out a long fart, giggling directly after.

Valerie wrinkled her nose and put her eyes back on the road in front of her as the smell of a diaper now badly needing to be changed wafted through the car.

"Cammie poot! Cammie poot!" Erik shouted with glee.

And they stank.

She finished her list of adjectives about them in her mind.

Just in time for the diaper renewal, Valerie pulled up in front of her parents's house and like they were tracking her location the whole time, the front door opened as soon as she put the car in park.

Her mother, Jean, came running out squealing and clapping her hands with glee. She pulled on the door handle to the car doors that held her grandbabies. Valerie's father, Vincent, jogged down their front stairs and greeted Valerie on her side of the car.

"Hey dad," Valerie softly greeted her father as she slid out of the car and gave him a big hug. Patting her on her back as they loosened their embrace, Vincent looked over at Valerie's mother now unloading the twins on the other side of the car.

"C'mon before your mother takes the twins in the house and locks us out..." He joked in a hushed tone causing Valerie to laugh.

He was completely right though.

Valerie's mother, Jean, was completely and utterly smitten with her grandchildren. When they were in her presence, they took the place of the sun, moon, and stars.

Luca thought it was the cutest thing, Valerie was still getting used to playing third fiddle in her parents's eyes. 

Susan had been fourth fiddle for about 3 years now and so had her rotten apple sons.

Vincent helped Valerie carry the twins in their car seats into the house. Jean followed behind the two clapping and cooing at the babies the whole way up the walkway.

"Thank you all for watching them on such short notice. I really appreciate it." Valerie assured her parents. Both of them were taking their shoes off while she said this, her mother shoo'd off the sentence with her hand.