treinta y tres.

It was amazing how the mood had shifted between the two once again.

Instead of a brooding dark mood over the house, knowing that essentially they were preparing for war, Valerie and Luca were closer than ever. The ring on her finger shone brighter and brighter on her hand.

Tonight's meeting, true colors would be shown, the cards were stacked against Luca for the first time truly in his whole life.

He was no longer his father's golden child, he was no longer the richest man in the room to others— they were still very much under the impression he'd lost everything today. His father was acting like a mad king, he was being hasty, probably trying to put on a facade that everything was okay and the Giovanni family could still be in control of the association as a whole.

The way tonight went would set the tone for the future. Who was really on his side when all was lost?

Valerie had already proven her loyalty thoroughly. Just as she'd proven to him in private the first day they met, she would prove to the association and all of their colleagues, and especially his father.

Valerie was no bitch.

They didn't talk when they parked in front of the house. The electricity that charged the air was insanely heady. It made Valerie giddy in the best way. She knew tonight Luca would finally get his own, he was no daddy's boy. His father had raised him to be a mogul, but Luca had become a giant all by himself.

Oh, and of course she was always up to bust some shit in old white men's asses.

Did they not learn their lesson the last time?

Valerie took her time curling her hair, the low knot she'd had her hair in all day effectively stretching her curl pattern to a point she could straighten her hair with one pass of her curling iron. Tonight, she knew she had to be the finest in the room. There was no doubting that.

She and Luca had decided to wear red, she chose an evening gown that would make heads roll.

Under the floor length gown were strappy gold heels that let her white toes show

Under the floor length gown were strappy gold heels that let her white toes show. When she and Luca stood together in the mirror, they looked like they were a match made in heaven.

Luca wore a suit as black as night with red tie that perfectly matched Valerie's dress. His hair was gelled back, but of course his one rebellious curl found its way onto his forehead. The gold watch on his wrist made Valerie's mouth water.

She turned around to appraise him closely with her eyes, reaching up and cupping his cheek softly. He held her hand there, enjoying her touch.

"You look fine as fuck." Valerie told him flat out which caused Luca to burst into laughter at her seriousness. Valerie laughed a little herself, but her cheeks still burned.

Grabbing her waist, Luca ceremoniously dipped her and kissed her deeply. When he brought her up, his hands rested on her ass instead. "Likewise, Mrs.Giovanni."