XV

I went home immediately afterwards. There was no point in staying after I saw Bella storm into her room. Bella was perhaps the most stubborn person ever, so I knew that she wouldn't be leaving it anytime soon for anymore confrontations with her mother.

I was honestly still in shock about who Bella's mom really was. Bella's mom was the kind of woman to make fresh baked cookies whenever I came over. She was the type of mother who came to every event and was a strong member of the PTA. Bella's mother, however, was not some backwoods Hunter of the supernatural. It just wasn't plausible.

But even if I couldn't totally believe what I saw, I knew that it was real. Bella's mother and her side of the family were Hunters – Hunters that were out to get me.

Well, if my life couldn't get complicated enough, am I right?

It seemed that the Hunters knew a bit more about the Warlocks and the magical community than Magnus and the rest of the Warlocks believed. They knew enough to know that Victoria escaped and that the Warlocks were after her and me. Despite her intentions, Bella had just tipped off the Hunters (and maybe even Hawthorne and his hooligans) that I wasn't just another suspect for being the next Psychic, I was the next Psychic. The Hunters might not have known what my abilities were, but they sure had a pretty good idea that they were valuable and dangerous.

Man, I just knew Bella's big mouth would eventually cause a catastrophe, I just didn't know that it'd be on this big of a scale.

At home Amy and Rick were just as I left them, and they barely seemed to register my arriving home early. Everything was as I left it, even if the world felt like it was falling apart.

By the time school rolled around the next day, Bella didn't show up. Bryce even asked me if I knew where she was. Apparently she wasn't answering any texts or calls – very unlike Bella. I told him that she was sick, not wanting to accept the fact that she was contemplating actually agreeing with her mother.

Bella was the kind of person who never liked to make people unhappy, which was why it was so weird when I originally heard their fighting from the sidewalk. I knew that she would sometimes agree to terms she would normally never agree to if it meant everyone was happy. I was afraid that would mean she would agree with her mother to bring me to the other Hunters.

I trusted Bella with my life, but I wasn't sure if she was strong enough to keep her own opinions in that right.

I wasn't too afraid of the Hunters per se. The information that Magnus had shared about them made them seem like a ragtag group of rednecks in over their heads, and I was sure if I was able to hone my powers more, I could convince them to let me go. All I needed was access to their heads, and they didn't even know it.

Perhaps that was my strongest asset at the moment. Bella might've accidently told them that I was a magical creature of some sort, but she never said what I could do (to my knowledge), so they had no real way of protecting themselves from me.

The only obstacle would come if the Hunters actually tried to bargain me to Hawthorne. That would be bad considering the fact that he probably wanted to kill me.

All I knew was that Victoria and Magnus both needed to know about Bella's mother. Magnus would be able to help protect me from being captured whilst Victoria could teach me how to enhance my 'silk-speaking' abilities so to say.

The only problem on that front was that Magnus hadn't shown up to school and I wouldn't see Victoria until after school. That meant that I had to sit through a whole day's worth of pointless lessons with no distractions while more important things were on my mind.