Chapter Twenty-Four

Please read the author's note at the end. Thank you - Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Twenty-Four

I wrapped my scarf tighter around my neck, slipping into my shoes. It was supposed to be really cold outside today – the kind of weather I hated. I wouldn’t normally be going out on a day like today, but I had a mission to run.

I was planning to go back to the ‘warehouse’ we had just visited, but this time, by myself. I figured it would be easier this time, if I was the only one to go. I could find more clues, and I wouldn’t be putting the rest of them in danger along the way. They were after me, not Kyle, Julie, or Riley. And that meant it was my responsibility to put an end to all of this.

As I reached for the doorknob, and voice raised from behind me.

“Where are you going?”

I turned around to face Riley, although the voice unmistakably belonged to him. He was leaning against the doorframe, one eyebrow raised, and I knew for sure that he was on to my plan. Was there anything he didn’t know about these days?

“I’m just… going for a walk.” I lied, unconvincingly. Ok, so my lying skills needed work. A lot of work. But what else was I supposed to say? Hopefully he wouldn’t see through my lie.

Riley stood up straight. “You’re lying.”

Damn him.

“Ok, fine, I’m not going for a walk.” I admitted. “But I’ll be fine by myself, wherever I am. I’ve got inhuman powers, Riley. I’m pretty sure I’ll be good without your protection.”

“Well I’m bored here,” he frowned. “There’s nothing to do. You seem to be up to something no good – and I’m not saying I support you, but I’d like to come along. Because I know you’re going to go either way, whether I’m there or not.”

I nodded, “True, but that doesn’t mean I want you to come.”

“Please?” he pouted, his lower lip sticking out. I shook my head firmly, letting him know that there was no way he was coming with me, not even if he pulled… ‘the face’. I wasn’t going to fall for it this time.

“Why should I let you come with me, anyways?” I said.

“Because you love me.” He said, dragging the word ‘love’ on for what felt like ages. I knew he was joking, but I could also tell that he really wanted to go.

“No, Riley. You’re not coming.”

“Kendra!” he whined. “Please!”

“No!”

“Kendra!” he repeated. “Please, please, please!”

“No, Riley!” I said. “You’re not coming, and that’s final.” God, I feel like I’m talking to a child here. What part of ‘no’ doesn’t he understand?

“Kendra, if you don’t let me come with you, I’ll tell Julie you went out without her.” He said seriously. “If she finds out, you’re dead meat.”

“Is that a threat?” I gaped. “Riley, that’s not fair.”

“That’s life.”

I groaned. “Fine, you can come. But don’t cause any trouble.”

“Will do. Where are we going, anyways?”

“I’ll tell you once we get in the car. You’re going to have to drive, by the way…”