Chapter Twelve

******

Dedicated to zexacullen, my very first fan. thank you! :)

Enjoy! <3

******

Chapter Twelve

Riley's P.O.V

Back around eight years ago when Kendra and I were kids, the biggest thing for us to do together was explore. Every weekend we would bike over to the property of Cresdale Creek and see if we could find anything interesting. The most interesting thing we ever found had to have been the abandoned barn.

"Look at that!" five-year old Kendra had said, pointing a chubby finger at something in the distance. It looked like a barn, only it was much smaller then one, so I suppose it was more of a shed. It was old and hideous, but something about it drew me and Kendra close, and I just couldn't say no.

So Kendra and I had jumped on our bicycles and sped over to the tiny barn.

"Can we go inside?" Kendra asked excitedly. Like I said, I couldn't have said no - she was practically bouncing in her seat.

So I hopped off my bike, and a ridiculous grin spread out on Kendra's face.

"Mommy said we could go if we stick together." Kendra stated, walking next to me, looking absolutely adorable. "So you better not run away, okay? If you do, then I'll put bugs in your bed."

Okay... not so 'adorable' anymore.

            Once Kendra and I had reached the barn, we began some exploring. We discovered a hiding place underneath the wood floors, and a ladder that lead up to a small second floor of hay. It was probably one of our greatest discoveries. It was also the place where we had our biggest fight... well, the biggest fight a five year old could have. It was over something ridiculous, and I can't even remember it anymore. The problem was that that was the last time I saw her, because my family had moved. I always meant to call or visit her to see how she was doing, but I never got the chance. I didn't think she would ever forgive me for that. I had made a big mistake.

So you can imagine how nerve-racking it was to finally come back.

Isabel tapped my shoulder impatiently, "Are we going inside or not?"

I frowned, staring at the barn through the windshield. It was only a couple blocks away from the gas station, a long walk on foot. It must have taken Kendra a while to get here... that is, if she even was here.

"We're going in," I say.

Isabel cracks open the door, jumping out onto the grass. The minute her feet touch the ground, I can hear squishing through the mud.

"You better appreciate this now, buddy." Isabel sneers. "Because when we get back home, you'll be the one washing my shoes."

"Whatever,"

I stomp through the mud infested grass, tromping my way to the barn. I don't see any footprints, so maybe Kendra isn't here after all. That thought isn't one I like.

"Let's go in," I suggest when we reach the barn. Isabel wrinkles her nose, but we go in anyways.

The barn is dark, with the odd light shining through the cracks in the ceiling. Hay is all over the wooden panels of the ground, and cobwebs are in the corner. Just one look and I can tell that no one else has discovered this barn but us - five years ago.