One Act Play

CHANGING SEASONS

A One-Act Play

By, Ivy Gilbert

CAST

August- (Mid 20’s) A tall slender musician who lives in New York, New York. He has been working on the streets playing his guitar, he is the definition of true musical talent, he can sing and play guitar but he never made it big in the music industry as he planned. He spends all his time in Central Park reflecting on all the wrong choices he has made as he watches everyone go by him. He is a hopeless romantic but New York has made him a cynic, he is hunting for inspiration and for love.

Iris-  (Early 20’s) A down to earth musician, she always has a long skirt and a feather in her messy blond hair. She is a very free spirit who spends every waking moment people watching in Central park as she writes music, she plays a ukulele and guitar. She is outgoing and independent, but has an unhealthy dependent relationship with Jackson. All she wants is to find her soul mate, she is a hopeless romantic. She  came to New York to persue theater, and made it. She stars on Broadway and has a recording contract, life is good for her.

Jackson- (Early 20’s) Iris’s boyfriend, he has shaggy blond hair and is tall and lanky, should be wearing a too big zip up hoddie.  Looks like he should be hunting monsters with a brown great dane. He is oblivious, ignorant, and  childish, but deep down a sweetheart.

 Jude-  (Late Teenage Years) Autumn’s gay best friend since high school. Brown hair and a cute smile, he is kind and shy with his demeanor but will stand up for anything he loves. He often finds himself patching up Autumn’s life.

Stella- (Late Teenage Years) Autumn’s best friend who is a bit of a floozy and does not really understand the fine line with flirting. She is not so secretly in love with Jackson.

Adam- (Early 30’s) A fellow homeless musician who is reasonable and rational, Augusts conscious and voice of reason.

Ensemble- (mixed ages and sexes) Double as band groupies and people on the streets.

ACT ONE.

SCENE. We open the stage to see what appears to be central park. A single park bench is stage left with a man sleeping on it, infront of the humble bench is an open guitar case, the guitar is in the mans arms. There should be a few trees present on stage to complete the look. Next to the single bench are two other benches were members of the Ensemble sit. Projected on the screen that falls behind the created set should be the New York skyline. Bring the stage lights up slowly to mimic morning.

 AUGUST (Still asleep holding is guitar). Thank you so much, thank you for coming out to see the show. (Rolls off of the bench.) OUCH. Oh, so it was just a dream.

            (AUGUST gets off the ground and looks around the park, he finds nothing that really pleases him so he goes back to the bench and starts to play his guitar. ENSEMBLE members walk past him and gather around him, people begin tossing bills into his open guitar case.)

AUGUST (kindly). Thanks guys, every donation helps feed a starving  artist.

ENSEMBLE MEMBER. You should not be on the streets with a talent like yours.

AUGUST. It is very nice that you think that, but I gave everything I had to come out here, and the city turned me down (starts fingering out a simple melody.)

ENSEMBLE MEMBER. It is just such a shame. This is no way to live a life.

AUGUST. But it is the sad reality of my life.

ENSEMBLE MEMBER. You know what. Come to this big party I am hosting tonight, only the biggest artists will be there and so will you.

AUGUST. I don’t think you want a dirty person like me at your big party.