Huck Fin In Ohio (More Hipsters and Art)

Oh why ‘ello there, ‘member me? Course ya do, it’s me, Huck Finn. Now I bet y’all are a wondering why I would be telling you folks yet another story, well let me just say the adventures only get larger when you lose track of the Mississippi. It all started when a massive storm creped over me and my raft, causing me to lose track of where I was. When I came to I discovered I had ended up in a sullen little town that made home seem like the lords heaven, not that his heaven is any better. I had no idea what I had gotten myself into exactly, but Im just gonna tell the story from the start, I ain’t gonna delay any much longer now.

            I woke up with a sudden jolt, like someone was breathing down my back. I quickly sat up, taking in my suroundin’s. “Oh Huck, what have we done now?” My raft had hit a fallen tree that spanned the width of the river. I noticed a hollow feeling in my stomach, I knew I needed to get some food into my body before any other endeavor. I gracefully lept off the thin raft, on to the trunk of the massive tree. I started to remove the flimsy braches, my plan was to make a fishing pole, cuz any river has gotta have sum good catfish lurking about. I crafted my line and sat down against on of the larger pourtruding branches, I skillfully cast out into the clear river. Strange, the big Miss is never clear, just as I was pulling in a small excuse for a fish I heard voices creeping over the hill.

            I tossed the fish and my line into the water, letting the stream wash away any proof of my existfence. I ran across the fallen tree, weaving through the tree branches like a skilled hunting dog would weave through the bramble on a coon hunt. I jumped off the tree, right where the trunk kissed the bank of the river, and I made for the root system. There was a perfect hiddey hole for me to sneak into, just under the uplifted roots. The roots resembled hands trying to pull the tree back up, the effort was of course worthless but I gave the tree credit for trying.

            The voices drew closer until finally I could see there were two people. Leading the second was a rather pretty girl. She had a mane of honey blond hair with tints of the muddy brown that only the Mississippi was composed of. Following her like a lost puppy was a boy, he had dark chestnut brown hair, and a pair of thick framed glasses. Both strangers were wearin over sized clothing, and at the sight of their baggy shirts I let out a laugh. That gave me away, I was done for, the girl heard my chuckle and ran over to my root fortress. She pulled me out of my safe place and introduced herself as Iris, and her friend as Forest. It was so strange, she was so kind and her voice lacked the heavy accent that sung of home. Her friend on the other hand was cold, and refused to look me in the eyes.

            “So what brings you here little guy?” She asked me with a sweet voice.

            “Got lost ya see” I looked down at the ground, I felt like I should tell her my real name, she was so kind so this would be an exception to my rule of sharing a truth. I also felt like for the first time, I belonged, see their names were so strange and extoxic, and so was mine. “And ma names Huckleberry, but ya’ll can call me Huck”.

            “Okie Huckleberry! You look rather starving” She pulled out a strange rectangular device and quickly smiled.  “Why it is just about lunchtime at our school. Want to come back with us and we can buy you some food?”

            “Iris sweetheart, I would not call that stuff food. But if new guy wants to try it we better get back. Im sure History class is missing us nonconformists dearly” he snickered back at her endearingly, and pushed his hair out of his blue eyes. Iris grabbed my hand and before I could answer we were off, headlonging through the woods off to the land of the sivilized folk, an adventure I was not sure I wanted to embark on.

            What I saw next was breathtaking, not in the ‘holy-moly look at that pie’ way, but in the Tom just pulled a massive trick on you kinda way. I was in a clean, and I mean clean hallway, had Tom been here he would have started tossin dirt on everythin and then blame it on sum witches. Not a speck of homely dirt on the floors, and all ‘round us were groups of kids about three or four years my senior. The kids were all in tight bundles, like when you scare a group of creek minnows and they all swim together to protect themselves from your monstrous feet, all the students looked like such fearful fishies.