CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: BLUE DIAMONDS

It wasn't like they were doing anything they weren't supposed to be doing. But the minute her brother walked through the door, Gwen knew that she was in for the most embarrassing moment of her life.

"Hey, are you two awake yet? We have to get going soon," Farrell says from the doorway. Gwen rolled over and saw her brother already dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt. He eyed the two of them and smiled.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude," he apologizes, trying not to laugh.

"Farrell is your sister awake yet?" Mom hollers from her own room.

"Oh she's awake!" Her brother calls back.

"Well tell her to get dressed. It's almost noon," she heard her mom call next. There were distant footsteps in the hall. Soon Gwen's mom was at the door as well. She was finishing with an earring.

"Oh," she says, stopping what she was doing.

"Good morning Mom," Gwen squeaks out.

"Good morning indeed," she agrees, smiling just like her son.

"I'll just let the two of you get dressed," Farrell dismisses, closing the door. Before it slammed to a close, she saw Farrell and Mom smiling and laughing. She huffed. They shouldn't be laughing. She was entangled in a boy's arms. Her mom should be enraged, not happy.

"Mmm, your mom seems happy this morning" RJ breathes out.

"This morning," Gwen snorts.

"Your parents still aren't arguing, are they?" He asks in a low voice. Gwen had to think about her answer.

"I don't think they are," she finally answers.

"Well good. Now we should get dressed. It looks like your family has somewhere to be," RJ says. Gwen wiggled out of his grip and sat up, scratching the top of her head. She let out a yawn as she stretched her hands over her head. She wasn't even going to scold RJ. She knew that he wouldn't listen to her anyways. She got dressed in her bedroom as RJ got dressed in the bathroom. After the clothes were on, they were both in and out of the bathroom. Brushing hair, styling hair, brushing teeth, doing makeup, touch ups on hair. The two got into a familiar pattern of knowing when the other was going to do what. They had it down to such a system that they knew when to leave to let the other pee.

Over the course of the past few days, Gwen has gotten to know RJ and he to know her. But it wasn't just knowledge and facts. It was body language, eating habits, sleeping patterns, breathing patterns, and course learning how to adjust with one another while sleeping. They figured out that sleeping together wouldn't be a problem if their backs were to one another. For as Gwen got ready each day, she realized that her routine was starting to blend in and look just like RJ's.

✎✎✎

"So what's the point in doing this if Christmas is only four days away? Everything is going to be picked over," RJ points out to Gwen as they walked into the Ruidoso Mall.

"Well a few years back when I was ten and Farrell was twelve we both wanted the same toy for Christmas. It was a green electric Razor scooter that topped fifteen miles an hour. It was what everyone wanted," Gwen gushes.

"Are you telling that stupid scooter story?" Farrell asks, swinging his arm Round his sister.

"You just think it's stupid because you broke your arm riding it on the ice," Gwen laughs. RJ pressed his lips together.

"Anyways, Mom completely forgot. So a few days before Christmas she went out to look for it and there was only one left," she continues.

"It was the one on display," Farrell chimes in.