Chapter Thirty Eight

My hands feel sweaty. I've gnawed every nail off and there's blood. What are they discussing. Joe probably hates me. I bet he wishes he never even got involved with me. A tear slips down my cheek as the door opens. David and my mom swing the door open.
"Pack your things, you're moving with your father." Mom says, sniffling. My father?
"But mom? You have to understand. I lov-"
"I don't give a damn! You're getting the hell out of my house." David spits. The door slams. I watch Mom look at everything but me. How could she do this? I stare at her. Piercing my eyes into her until she looks at me.
"I'm sorry, I had to te-"
"Get out of my life."
I mean every word and I want her heart to break like mines. She walks out, a sob escaping her lips.
I open the gift box Joe gave me. There's a single velvet box inside. The heart shaped locket contains a picture of me sleeping on Joe's chest. It has forever in cursive letters on the back.
I scream and cry into the pillow. My lungs burn but I don't care, I'm losing the best thing I ever gained.

"Babygirl?"
I turn over in the dark, my face feeling swollen.
"Joe?"
My bed creaks as he climbs in it. I let myself fall into his arms. I cry some more, unable to find comfort.
"I'll figure something out. Sleep for now. I love you."
His voice his full of anger but I still obey. I mean, what can I do at this point? I fall into his warm chest, praying that this is all just a night before Christmas nightmare.