Hope

(Pic above is hope)

I walked into the childrens hospital trauma area where I clocked in for work. Putting my purse in my locker I hear Chloe and Sydney come into the break room laughing. They both turn and looked at me with wicked smiles on their faces.

"How was last night with Jake, Jess?" Chloe said still smiling. "Hun, you look like you haven't slept in days. What's going on Jess?" Sydney looked concerned.

"You guys, don't worry. I have been studying a lot with finals coming up. The thing with Jake last night went fairly well, I think. He was an hour and a half late to this special dinner with perfume on his clothes and just a little lipstick corner of his lip. Then he asked if I would move in with him. Ha! Boy, was he wrong."

The girls ran over to me wrapping me in a group hug. "Girls, girls I'm fine. He was a waste of my time. I'm moving on and truly I'm fine." They both smiled and said, "Girls night out!"

Sydney and Chloe were two of my dearest best friends. We went through nursing school together and the classes to specialize in pediatric oncology. It was like we are inseparable, Going on now for about 6 years.

From the sound of the nurse giving me report it sounded like I would have some of my regulars for patients. I loved all of them so much. There was Cali, a 10 year old girl fighting leukemia. Braden, a 6 year old boy fighting a rare form of bone cancer.

Then there was 16 year old, Hope, her name was her personality. She was very strong, having fought this battle of cancer for several years. She says she wants to finally let go and off all the radiation. Last time she underwent testing the doctor told her family it had progressed and is now at a stage 4.

I went into Bradens room first, he was setting up in the bed watching cartoons. I smiled at him, "Hey little man, how are you feeling today?" He smiles back up at me and chirps, "feeling great, I'm ready to go home and play with Destiny. I can't wait to get out." Destiny is Braden horse his parents just got for him. He begged them and they finally gave in, what can you do?

I look over at Braden's mother who looked exhausted, "Would you like a cup of coffee?" Her body jumped a little being in a daze. "That would be lovely dear, thank you."

Cali was still asleep in her room but I knew she would be awake anytime so I ordered her favorite for breakfast. Cheesy eggs and bacon with biscuits and gravy on the side.

Hope was up in her bed, legs crossed playing on her phone. "I'm making a bucket list...where would you go if you only had a short time to live?" I scratched my head thinking,"mmmm, I would probably go to Fiji, I hear they have some of the most beautiful beaches. And you?"

"I want to go on a mission trip to anywhere in the world and help people. I don't want my life to be wasted setting here in this bed. I have fought so hard with force, for the doctor to tell my parents it's worse." I could see tears welling in her eyes and tears started to well in mine.

*********************

Don't forget to vote 🌟