Chapter 10

Your POV

Vlyad lets out a breath and moves his hands. "Very well, to get out of here, you will need to forge a staff."

"What kind?" I ask.

"It's made from quartz and a teleportation stone. However, even if you manage to forge this item, you will need a sacrifice to return to ." How can I sacrifice something that I don't have?

"What do you mean by 'sacrifice'?"

"Something important to you." That's it! Samuel's locket! I mentally shout, taking off the necklace that bears the only thing of remembrance of Samuel.

"Will this do? It was given to me by... my lover." I choke on the last two words. Vlyad simply nods without a word. A presence draws close, my heart almost stops.

"You should go, _____(name)." I take the basket from him and teleport out the cell.

Once out of the cellars, I again, go to the performance area. Even though I knew that the way out may not work at all, I was still full of euphoria (a feeling of excitement), joy, hope. Once I reached the stage, I snap my fingers, making my assortment of instruments and sheet music appear (Angels in Royal David's City). I take a seat next to a cello and begin to play the solo. Slowly, I begin moving my bow right, creating a low and elegant note. Later, the other instruments begin to join in, transforming the room into an ocean of melodies, each passing the melody on to each section. It reminds me of when Samuel and I were little...

~~~flashback~~~

"Samuel, please teach me the cello!" I beg my childhood friend.

"Only if you teach me the violin." He smiles, sitting in his seat by the cello.

"No fair! I'm a bad teacher!" I pout my lips. He only laughs as he hands me the cello. Immediately, I have trouble holding the bow correctly.

"Here, let me help." Samuel comes behind me and places a hand on top of my right hand while the other holds my back. Those were the old days, this is now, he's gone now and I should move on....

~~~timeskip~~~

I pace around my room, thinking. Vlyad had told me to just carve a rod of quartz and a space to fit the stone, yet I can't seem to wrap my finger around how this technique were to work. I make my way over to the bucket of lava resting on my silver mirror dresser. Cautiously, drop the locket in the lava. I'm sorry, Samuel. A tear forms in my eye, rolling down my cheek. After my locket is submerged into the glowing red liquid (A/N to my Homestuck fans: No, don't even think about it). I dip the staff in the bucket as well. Surprisingly, it does not melt at the contact, instead, solidifies a layer of red on the snow white rod. Now I face the mirror, jabbing the staff in the mirror.

As expected, it shatters, like the way my heart shattered, weeks ago.... The tears begin to roll down my cheeks, the technique failed. Not only am I stuck here, my most important possession has vanished, gone like the wind. Just as I begin to become a weeping angel (A/N Doctor Who!!!!), the frame begins to fill in with a shade of purple. Holding my breath, I extend my fingers toward the magenta 'substance'. They pass through! My tears of sorrow are changed to joy as my mouth curves.

Thank you, Vlyad, I'm greatful for your actions. That was my final thought in the nether, passing through the realm barrier. With that action, I leave everything behind, the dark aura of the realm, the monster, the ones that destroyed me, all left in the past.

~~~In the Overworld~~~

I pass through to the other side, where the full moon and white stars greet me, bright and beautiful. I put on the cloak 'brother' had given me at the party, covering my hair and face from anyone's vision. The black silk runs just above my ankles, contrasting with the red of the shadow knight's emblem. My gaze is averted to the portal that is still there. It hits me, what is someone comes in my room, are they able to pass the barrier? Quickly, repeat what I did to the mirror, shattering the portal, concealing the past for eternity.