Chapter 1

"That was a great movie Max!" I exclaimed while coming out of the main street theater. The January air was nipping at our noses although it was warm for a winter day in Minnesota. "Just like the book!"

"Glad you like it Jessie. I personally thought they could have had more accurate scientific information." Max complained with a half smile.

"Just because you're smarter than the rest of us, doesn't mean you can brag about it." I laughed, playfully pushing him in the shoulder while we made our way to his car. He laughed and took my face in his hands, then placed a kiss on my forehead. His green eyes twinkling in the sunlight as he pulled away.

"I love you," Max said, pulling me in a tight hug.

"I love you too,"

After a few moments we released each other and got into his old red truck. Once we reached my house and pulled into the driveway, I felt my jaw drop and a huge smile explode on my face. A giant sign hung on the garage door that read: "HAPPY 17th BIRTHDAY JESSIE!!!" My parents and two brothers were standing next to the sign with cake and balloons. We both jumped out of the truck and I hugged everyone.

"Oh my gosh! Thanks so much you guys!"

"Come on, let's go inside for cake!" called my thirteen year-old brother, Aaron, from the front door of our small blue house. We all followed cheerfully and had chocolate cake and ice cream at our dining room table.

"Nate? Will you pick up the dishes and start washing them?" my mom asked my fifteen year-old brother.

"Aww, come on Mom--" he complained. Nate is a lot of things, and a complainer was a lot of them.

"Now!" she growled. Sighing, Nate picked up the dishes and began washing them, grumbling about it being unfair the whole time. We ignored him obviously.

"Well, how was the movie Jessie?" my dad asked with a smile. His neatly combed brown hair, that only had a touch of gray, sat nicely on top of his head and square face. His crinkly eyes scrunched up some of his tanned skin, which he gets from working outside in the garden during the summers.

"Great! It was about--" I was interrupted by a howl from Roberto (I didn't choose the name), our old dalmatian. Nate and Aaron quickly took him outside before his poop got all over the carpet. He used to be able to hold it in, but lately he has just "let it go" right in the house. I learned that the hard way by having to explain to my biology teacher my freshman year, that my dog pooped on my homework. That wasn't too fun.

"Oh, Mom, did you sign the permission slip for the Washington D.C. trip in May?" I asked my mom.

"Yes," She answered, tucking her auburn hair behind her ear. My moms hair, although a lot like mine, was a few shades darker. Plus, instead of having the slight curl in hers, she had straight, stringy hair, that came down to her shoulders, and bangs that hung just above her eyebrows. I had also gotten my blue eyes from her too, but thankfully I didn't get her short stature, or weak ankles. "You are going to pay for half of the trip, and for any souvenirs that you buy. You haven't spent all the money from your last paycheck yet, right? I know the bookstore doesn't pay that much but-"

"Yes Mom, I have the money!" I declared with a laugh.

"So, what do you want to do with the rest of your day Jessie?" Max asked after Nate and Aaron had returned with Roberto, who really needed a bath now that he had poop all over his butt. Come to think of it, Mom and Dad should probably get that checked out.

"Can we go to the library, and get The Fellowship of the Ring? Oh, and then invite Sadie and Matt to watch it with us?" I asked excitedly. I had recently finished reading the books and wanted to rewatch the movies for the billionth time.