A Special Occasion

(Her point of view)

I decide not to run too fast, as I do not want to seem winded and out of sorts upon arrival. When I finally make my way to the large banquet hall and ballroom, I can see that the guests are all still congregating, sipping on their before dinner cocktails. Thank Gods! I am not late after all.

It appears that the doorman has not even announced my brother's grand entrance yet. I assume this because upon walking in, I see that he is nowhere to be found. He has always been one for making an elaborately grand entrance at his special occasions. Childish, really.

I smile to myself. It is so Link, though. I would not have him any other way. He is my little brother, but he is also my best friend.

He may be two years younger than me, but he is much, much taller than I am. I know this is why he always teases me lovingly by calling me his "little sister" as he pats me on the top of my head. We have been very protective of each other our whole lives, especially since the battle of Sethos....No! No! Don't go there again. Do not ruin the night with those stupid thoughts. I tell myself this over and over in my head.

I grab a glass of white wine from one of our many butler's serving trays before making my way around the room, speaking to all of our guests. I sip on the light and crisp beverage, enjoying the coolness as it eases its way down into my chest. It is just the thing that I need after a long day.

Before I realize it, I am reaching for my second glass. I take a few more sips as I chat with one of my brother's best friends, Merek. He is tall, almost as tall as Link and is a warrior in the Medinian army. He is a perfect gentlemen and by far, one of the funniest people that I have ever known. I have always been fond of him and think of him as another little brother. He has the reddest hair you have ever seen, with kind blue eyes, almost gray. They are comforting and friendly with a slightly astute twinkle. I grin as he rambles on, allowing my eyes to move from his childish smile to the figure that has suddenly approached us. Standing to his left is the general of our warriors, Daegan. With goblet in hand, he offers me a genuine smile. However, it takes a little more effort on my part to return it. I have never really cared for him. Even though he has been nothing but kind and loyal to my family, he is arrogant and demeaning towards our villagers. I do not like this at all. Even if I am considered royal and the villagers are not, that has never once caused for me to see them as less than myself. They are living people, just as I am. My rank does not make me any better than they are. Apparently, Daegan thinks differently. I would go so far as to call him a snobbish bastard, but I would never outwardly express this. Well, not to anyone except my own brother.

But Link is all too familiar with how I feel about his chosen and exceptionally skilled General.

To make matters worse, Link has spoken to me on more than one occasion of Daegan's most sincere affections for me. At first, I did not believe him. But then, as time went along, and Daegan had been residing here in the palace with the other warriors, I began to see that my brother was not lying.

Daegan always goes out of his way to attempt to flirt with me or offer me a dance at any social function. I have hated to keep brushing him off, but something about him always leaves me feeling uneasy. Besides, I have no romantic feelings towards him whatsoever. Accepting his continuous and persistent offers of dancing might possibly lead him to get the wrong impression. And while he is extremely handsome and very well built, his inner personality is nothing along the lines of that which I am searching for in a man. It really is a shame that he is so attractive. Were his inner appearance to match his outer , I might actually consider taking him up on his offers to dance. I daresay, I might even return his flirtatious gestures. However, unfortunately, that is apparently not ever going to be the case.