Chapter 4

The night becomes a mask for us as we stealthily come out. I wonder how many times you look at me when I am not looking at you. Did you plan for it to be this way? Did you? Or did it just happen, never an accident, but out of impulse? Please answer my questions, and then maybe I can feel some sort of pity. Maybe I have judged you too quickly. Maybe I made a mistake long ago that I cannot remember. I doubt the latter though. I would remember.

Should we tread back through the sands of time, relive the moments forgotten in order to find out where everything went wrong? If so, let us begin now, thus we can become our old selves and soar through time, finding that broken heart, the cracked soul that made you who you have become today.

Back in the day, when we spoke so many languages, you refused to learn one. Which was it again? It's sad that I have to think before I remember it. But I remember now. It was English. You wanted English to remain the language of their people, and though you knew that it was for the better that most of the population learn how to speak this language, you still refused to learn. Why? Is there an answer to this question? You know who you are supposed to be. You are supposed to be kind; you should want the communication between different peoples. But you loathed globalisation although it is something that we, together, should encourage. You try to break it down while I stand for it.

That reminds me, why did you do that when the EU was being formed? When we arrived the papers were being signed. You made the Spanish leaders become angry and fierce because although their language is the second most spoken language in the world, English and French are the languages of the EU. Luckily my part was played, and the rest of the meeting went on as smoothly as remotely possible.

But that was a close one, and you know it. How can I put this without sounding too angry? That was was so selfish of you.

*

INTERLUDE 2: The Ones Before You

After the death of Cadis, I had many different companions through the Age of Discovery. I was assisted in making the ventures of the curious as smooth as possible. We were charged with influencing the motives and moves of the English, Spanish, French and Italian. But trust me, it was a bumpy ride. The discovery of Africa, the Americas and some parts of Eurasian catapulted globalisation into a new era. Things would never be the same. I don't want to go too deep into this because the fury and thirst for power touches a part of my heart that I do not want to open up. Some of the things that the humans did for power were all too much and in the end, in the current future, some of it changed nothing, the countries gained nought.

Like you. You will gain nothing from this. Why can you not see this? You are becoming a monster!

But I must forgive.

Forgive, but never forget.