Plans

'You can't go in there' Thomas shouted after her, Gally catching up.

'Really Thomas? Really? We have a chance of escaping and you're gonna tell me about rules? Think it's a little too late for that' Lythia laughed. The thought of even having a small chance of escaping, the fact that everything was coming together and starting to make a tiny bit of sense made her joyful, she just wanted to laugh as loud as she could.

She walked into the map room, which was dull lit. bare and cold, with only a few boxes scattered around the small space. She didn't expect to see the sight that she did; a small intricate 3D recreation of the full maze itself. Only here did she see just how insignificant the glade was, the many miles of walls around all of them, the glade being a tiny square in the middle of the concrete jungle. Seeing this made her lose her joy a little, the odds of actually finding the way out was slim, and even if they did, it didn't take a slinthead to realise that it would be too much of a risk to attempt in a whole day. Around 20 miniature handmade cones sat at certain points in the maze, green, red and yellow colours.

'Lythia.. I don't want you to get into any more trouble, we should just go, I can do what you need done in here' Thomas warned.

'Will you stop being such a pussy?' Gally scowled.

'I'm not being a godamn pussy you son of a bitch' he replied. Lythia could tell the tension was already sky high, one more word out of either of them and she'd predicted a fight any time about now.

'What do you mean 'more trouble''? She asked, interrupting them.

 'Incase you forgot you broke the top rule of running off into the maze. Newt wants to call a gathering today to figure out what your punishment should be' Thomas sighed.

'Newt? Since when did newt become the captain?' Gally scoffed.

'You can get us out of it right?' Lythia asked Thomas, panic rising.

'I can try. But I can't -'
'we don't need Thomas to get us out of it Lythia. We can do that ourselves' Gally interuppted.

'See, my sister might be able to get herself out of it, cause she's from my line of intelligence. But you- I sense differently. You're a slinthead' Thomas snapped.

'I'm a slinthead? Says you, the one who actually-'

'Will you stop?!' Lythia shouted. The rivalry between these two was unnecessary. Lythia felt like she was being the parent of two spoilt siblings who use any thing to get at each other. She could picture them both as kids throwing Lego at each other because the other one took the last yellow brick.

'What do the cones mean?' she asked, looking back down at the maze, small cones littered.

'The red ones are dead ends. The places we've visited countless times and they haven't changed, they haven't moved. The yellow ones are the places that could potentially lead to a new pathway, but we haven't gotten to a point where it's safe to explore them yet. The green ones show a sure pathway to an exit.' He explained, pointing.

'So what's our plan?' she sighed.

'we'd just have to wait. Until it was safe enough to search the yellow and green areas. We think sector 5 is the most possible route. But we've been waiting a month or so now and it still hasn't changed.' Thomas said, agitiated as he swiped his nose.

Suddenly, Gally remembered.

Its a long shot. But the cliff.. Where all the Grievers disappear into? I guess that's the only way out.' he finished.

 'But it's.. Invisible. There's too much risk in jumping out there and trying to get in the right spot without dying. we don't even know where it leads to, I'm pretty sure that's why we've never attempted it.' Gally explained. 'The right spot? It's a straight down fall, what do you mean the right spot?' lythia asked, remembering the way they veered off the monsters. 'No.. me and the other runners were talking about giving it a try.. a last resort. But we noticed a few days back, they don't go down, not all the way. They go.. Forward.  Like, when they leave properly, they just... jump and disappear. I'll split from the group today, see if I can inspect it more. Then, when I've got a feel for it we can leave. All of us. Finish the rest ourselves. Tomorrow.'

'Tomorrow? Tomorrow is when we move out? How are we gonna get everyone to come with us? How are we even gonna go?' Lythia asked, starting to doubt the whole thing.

'Yep. Tomorrow. If not I'll get into trouble for running off like that, I'll probably get banned from running again. But if we say we found a way out none of that will matter.. Plus you want to get out don't you? I guess we'll call a meeting tomorrow and announce it then..' He shrugged. Thomas was a person who tried to keep cool throughout most things but deep down he was just as panicked and doubting as Lythia was.

'This isn't gonna work' Gally sighed, rubbing his temples, his biceps tensing. 'Do you really think that Minho is gonna let us all loose in the maze cause we believe that there's an exit? Be rational. We have a runaway girl here. Theres no way its gonna happen.' he said, shaking his head.

'There is no rational way. Minho can't stop all of the gladers from going out there. If we just take order and do this properly, we can go out like an army and get through this. Those Grievers don't have anything on a pack of gladers' Lythia explained, making herself believe that this could actually work.

A low rumbling signalled that the walls were opening.

'I gotta go. And you better not get caught in here. I'll check if any yellow exits have changed while I'm out there. Incase there's a different exit. I'll talk when I get back' Thomas said, beckoning Gally and Lythia out of the map room, the sunrise shining.

**

The rest of the day went by realitivley fast; Lythia decided to help Gally collect and pile the wood he continued to chop. Infact she'd quite enjoyed the whole thing, knowing this could be their last day in there. The view of a hardworking Gally added to the pleasure. They worked slow but hard, now and then occasionally having lighthearted conversations.

'You know this is dangerous' he stated, swinging down at the wood.

'Standing close to a sweaty man with an axe? I know.' Lythia laughed, knowing that its not what he meant. He smiled slightly.

'Don't expect a lot of them to come out alive' he said seriously, referencing the other gladers.

Lythia didn't even think of that. 
Her heart sank like a rock in the ocean.

'I know. But we can all stick together right?' she hoped.

'Sure. I just don't want you hurt. Wether it be physically or emotionally.' He sounded upset.

'Why do you and Thomas hate each other?'  she blurted, out of the blue. She didn't know where it came from, she just said it. She winced because she felt that she shouldn't of asked, even though she'd been thinking it all this time.