07: The Big News

Cadence's P.O.V

Soft bubbles blew from the jets of Bart's hot tub. Emily, Mahogany, Andrea, Jenn and I were all relaxing in the steaming, foamy water.

"It's weird going to an event with him," Andrea spoke over the loudness of the jets, "I mean, it's been a while..."

"Don't worry about Kian," Jenn spoke, splashing Andrea, "worry more about how wrinkly your fingers are gonna get if you stay in here for another twenty minutes."
I laugh along with Emily, who was now also inspecting her pruney fingers.

"Still," Andrea spoke, who then glanced over at me, "you must feel me, right Cadence."

At the mention of my name in the same context my smile faded. I slightly shrugged half - heartedly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know if you moved on yet..." Andrea spoke with a small frown.

"It's hard to move on when he did so quickly," Mahogany spoke up.

"Wait, who did Cadence use to date?" Jenn asked completely lost.

"Shawn," Emily spoke, "until..." I watch as my friend looks over at me, as if asking me for permission to explain the whole story. I simply sigh and decide to speak for myself.

"That's what actually happened?!" Andrea gasped, "I thought it was just a small fight!"

"So he still doesn't remember you? Anything?" Jenn asked for confirmation.

I nod, "nothing..."

"Wow," Andrea says with a small frown, "now I'm really sorry."

I try to put on a smile, to cheer Andrea up, and myself, "i-it's okay," I look down at my toes that broke through the surface of the liquid, "besides I have Matthew now." I threw in that last sentence to make it seem like I moved on.
Is it bad that I, myself, don't think I have?

"Mind if this party of five becomes a party of six?" I turn my head to see Taylor standing behind me.

"I don't know," Mahogany shakes her head, "six is a crowd." Taylor jumps in anyways, causing waves and splashes.
Taking a seat beside Mahogany he spoke, "not what it's a hot tub meant for ten people."
Andrea rolls her eyes playfully, and over dramatically, making all the girls laugh.

Soon, Cameron, Aaron and Matt join in, making the water level rise as they jumped in one by one.

The bubbles tickled my chin as every one started up a conversation, as I half listened - half day dreamed, I picked up that they were talking about weird songs.

I flinch slightly as I feel some ones hand touch mine under the water. I look to my left to see Matthew suddenly by my side.

"Sorry," he grins, although I could tell he wasn't being sincere. I scooch closer to him, the sudden sense of insecurity coming over me. My stomach was bare, Emily convinced me to wear a bikini. Soon Jc and Kian came, along with Connor.

All three of them argued who got to sit in the hottub, and eventually all three of them came in, making the water overflow. I laughed and gave Matt a small smile before hoping out. As I started to walk inside, I heard a whistle. My face went red as I look back to see Matthew smirking at me. I brush a piece of hair from my face as I continue to walk inside, quicker than before. Closing the door behind me, I sigh.

It's been a while and yet dating Matt still feels...weird. Shouldn't I be past the fact that my ex boyfriend doesn't remember me. Besides it really shouldn't matter. I envied Matthew.