Level Thirty-Two

**2 weeks until the party**

"How do you manage school, two jobs, a boyfriend, an obsessive ex, and racing?" Rosa asks me as we come out of our last class of the day.

I shrug, "It kind of becomes natural."

She laughs and shakes her head, "I don't know how you do it."

I wink at her, "One of my many talents."

She scoffs, "I wouldn't say many."

I roll my eyes and ignore her comment, "So are you and Mike coming tonight?"

She nods and smiles, "Yeah, I'm super excited. Mike says he has a whole heap of moves to teach me."

"Are you sure he's relating to self-defense?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

We get to our lockers and she puts her hands on her hips once she's put away her books, "There is nothing going on between Mike and I."

I roll my eyes, "Sure."

"Honestly."

"Just you wait." I say.

She playfully glares at me, "Why do I sense a roll-reversal here?"

I laugh, "And look where I ended up."

"It's not going to happen, he's not even interested anyway. He talks more about cars and machinery than anything." She says, going back to her locker.

I give her a look, "Have a little faith."

We grab our bags and shut our lockers before heading out.

When we get out Rosa frowns as she looks out to the car park.

"Is that Cade and... Shane?"

I look up and see Cade, in all his glory, leaning against the side of the car.

Then my eyes flick to Shane, who's leaning against my car bonnet.

"Oh no." I say.

"How they're not punching each others brains out, I don't know." She states.

"Me too." I reply.

"Well, this is where I leave you. I'd rather be out of the firing zone, good luck. I'll see you tonight."

I nod, "Alright, seeya."

I take a breath and walk towards them, deciding to get Shane over with first.

"Hi Shane." I say.

He stands up straight, "Hey Tam."

I still can't help but cringe a little when he says that.

I see Cade's fists tighten out of the corner of my eye.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I was wondering if you wanted to catch up for coffee again?" He asks.

Before I can reply Cade steps besides me, "No, she won't be."

Shane glares at him, "Since when can you decide what she can and can't do?"

Cade smirks and puts a hand around my waist, "Since we started dating."

Shane looks to me and I give him an awkward smile.

"You're making a huge mistake, this douche doesn't deserve you." Shane says.

I go to speak but Cade releases me and steps forward, "You better watch it buddy."